Hamlet of Littleton

Fellow mappers (is that a word?),

Hey gang. I'm still working on that bigger city from my previous post, it's quite the undertaking... :P

In the meantime, I've been working on some of the surrounding area. Attached is the quaint little area of Littleton. A small area near a large river used for import/export of a neighboring cities goodies.

Feedback welcome and VERY appreciated!

-E

Comments

• RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Sure "mappers" is a word. Around here at least. ;)

Very cool work on this map, I like it! Perhaps making the edge fade effect on the fields a little weaker would look good? the fields look very blurred at the moment. The maps has room for some text labels and a key if you want to add those.
  • Ralf,

Thanks for the note. Good to know we all speak the same language around these parts. Interestingly enough, there are two things I don't like on this map. 1) Edge fade on the fields and 2) The small pond mid-map; it's edges just don't seem right to me.

Once I get home from work (tomorrow afternoon) I'll fidget with it some more. Do you have some recommended settings for the fields? I'm also trying to mess with it and get it to be a more "lined" look to the fields as well.

Thanks again!

-E
  • Hi Eranthius,

I've only drawn one map, so please take any advice with the pinch of salt it deserves, but when I was playing with landmasses, I noticed a fill style, "Farmlands symbol", which produces some nice hashes for farmlands - there's also a "Farmlands bitmap", but that didn't come out very well on the scale of map I was drawing. Curiously, though, I've only seen it when you create a map using the 'Overland CC3' template - I created my last (i.e., first and only) map with the 'Overland SS1a' style and it wasn't there, so not sure if it's there in the city map templates, either.

On a separate note, I do like what you've done to break up the uniform blue of the sea and green of the land, though, with those darker smudged\blotches (my apologies for not using the technical term!). Can you share how you did that, please?

Cheers,
    Lee
  • Lee,

Thanks for the comments. Good to know I'm not the only noobie mapper around here! I'll have to look around for your map as I would like to check it out. I'll also look into the farmland bitmap/symbols you were talking about, very interesting...

For the darker blotches your talking about, those were done in Photoshop with the brush tool, then set to a certain opacity. It was my attempt to add a little flavor/variety to the map. I bet you could just as easily do it with GIMP too, one of the many free photo software programs used around the net.

-E