Trade codes for Traveller Sector Maps

We're looking at whether it's worthwhile to add the worlds' trade codes to the data that gets imported in the Traveller Sector maps in Cosmographer 3.

Normally these are not shown on Traveller maps, but some people may want to use this data.

Would you have a use for this?

Comments

• Ralf, I think that it might be worth while to make it a selectable / toggleable option, but not necessarily a "static" feature.
  • pvernonpvernon Betatester 🖼️ 34 images Traveler
    Yes, what Terra said!
  • 1 month later
  • Yes, an option would be nice. The more information I can get from the map the better.

What idea did you guys have for displaying the trade data?
    Maybe have it in the same place as the UWP. We could turn off the one we did not want. This way we could create a trade map.

Hope my comment was not too late.
  • Here is a sample of having trade codes in the same place as the UWP. I have the UWP layer hidden when I created the image. I just added a new layer TRADE CODES and put the trade code text with the same properties as the UWP text right on top of the UWP text. I put it into the TRADE CODES layer so I could toggle it with the UWP.
  • 1 month later
  • Have you guys decided if you are going to do this or not?
  • I have added it to my to do list but it will take a while to get to. Feel free to pester mark@profantasy.com in a month or so if you haven't heard anything more on this.
  • 2 months later
  • Just curious if you had a chance to work on this.

A couple feature requests if they are quick.
    Could you have the import configuration use the last configuration file you used. I use my custom configuration file every time and it would be nice if I did not need to select it each time.
    It would be nice if the importer loaded the list of sector names from a text file. This way we could add to the list.
    It would be nice if you could specify a file as opposed to a web address on the import location in the configuration file. Have it be file and path and have your program append the sector name by the selection in the drop down combo. You could require the extensions be SEC and MSEC. Example: file://C:\travellersectors\datafiles\

I am a programmer by trade so I well know that a change that might seem simple and be a can of worms. I will understand if these turn out to be too much work.
  • 11 months later
  • I have created a new build that includes optional trade codes and Torg's feature requests (although re-using the configuration file is done by having a default.cfg that you can edit to your preferences). This build is currently beta, meaning it is provided without warranty of any kind, but please email me at mark@profantasy.com if you'd like to try it out. In your message, please include your registered email address.