Large maps, REDN, cropping, and other questions

Although I've owned CC2 (with CD and DD) for quite a while, I'm just now getting into really using them to create a world. I have gone through the tutorials several times and I still find myself with a bunch of questions.

World-level maps: To make a *single* map that approximates the size of the earth (25,000 miles circumference), there's apparently not a pre-existing template for this. I've been using the blank template and making a light blue rectangle that's approximately 25,000 miles across and then drawing my continents on that. However, it lacks the scale bar, compass rose, borders, and other fine detail of the pre-existing templates. How can I add these features?

The REDN command: I know what this does, but what's the advantage in reducing the number of nodes in a polygon? Also, when using this on an outlined entity, is there any easy way to get REDN to work on the outline at the same time? Currently I have to use REDN on the entity, erase the outline, and then outline it again.

Cropping: I have a continent that's shaped more or less like an inverted U. Between the legs of the U is a large island. I'm trying to put the island on its own map, and running into problems cropping the pieces of the continent to the new map border. I can get one side or the other to crop properly, but not both. Short of making two separate maps, one for each side, what can I do to resolve this?

Updates: As I said, I have CD2 and DD2. I have never understood how the update procedure for the software works, so I simply use it "out of the box". Last time I tried updating CC2, I managed to make the software unusable - many features quit working. Do I have to update each piece individually, or is there a generic update for everything? What order do I update in? Will this affect my existing maps?

CC3 / DD3: I've bought these, but I'm wary of installing them without knowing how they interact with CC2. I really do not want to have to redraw all my maps again, especially since CD3 isn't out yet. How much of a pain is it to convert maps from CC2 to CC3?

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited July 2008
    Scale bars & Compass roses:
    CC2 contains a folder called "Parts" that include these symbols. Use Edit -> Insert File to place these into the map.
    The boarder is just a few coloured polygons, and must be drawn manually. Note that if you unfreeze and unhide all the layers in the map, you can use SCALE to rescale an existing map instead of starting on a new one (This will rescale the borders too though, making them thicker)

Cropping:
    Go to the Map Makers Chest (Accessible from the links in the right hand of your registration page). Grab the "Local Map from Regional Map" tutorial you find there

Updates:
    This should be quite simple. Just install all the components, then get UU8 (Universal Update 8) from your registration page, and install it. This will update all components to the latest version.

Version 3:
    CC3 & addons can be used side by side with CC2, so they don't disturb each other. You can have both installed.
    A CC2 map opens up in CC3 without any problems (Especially if you didn't use sheets in your CC2 maps, sheet order behaves a bit different in CC2), and can easily be used in CC3. If you wish to take advantage of CC3's new features, like effects, you'll need to convert it to a sheet-using CC3 map. There is a converter built in that allows you to do this, or you can do it manually. If you just want to use your old maps, without changing them to CC3 style, you can use them as they are, without any conversion.

REDN:
    Haven't really used this one, so I can't help you out here, but the basic premise is that polygons with fewer nodes uses fewer resources and redraws faster.
  • Hmmm. So there's no way in CC2 to add the scale bars and such. I'll mark that down as a reason to consider migrating to CC3.

SCALE: Wouldn't this also scale the scale-bar and make it useless? Or is CC2 smart enough to adjust the values automatically?

Updates: "Should be" often doesn't have a lot to do with reality, unfortunately. I'm thinking that I'll be better off with CC3 in the long run.

Thank you for your swift reply.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Actually. There is. The parts folder is part of CC2, not CC3. I mistakenly wrote CC3, but corrected it, but you probably read my reply just before then.

As for scaling maps, yes, this will scale the scale bar as well. You can avoid this by scaling everything but the scale bar (Put it on a frozen layer, deselect it before executing the command, etc), or inserting a new one after scaling the template.

As for "Should be", that is more like my way of expressing myself (Primarily because I know software can always go wrong, no matter what). I've never had any problems with installing the UU8 update to CC2 though. This update fixes a lot of stuff, and is highly recommended.