CC3, Export Issues - PNG/JPG/BMP related.

I was wondering if any one else is/has experianced this problem.

When you try to export at a large size (ie above 4000x4000 pixels) CC3 begins the export then after a few minutes (or a few seconds) throws the following Error msg:

Error: Couldn't Get pixels with GetDIbits()

followed by another one which is basically that it could not create the bitmap.

I've ran into it a few times when using Bitmap symbols and Linda looked into it when I first started using CC3, and it was due to the fact that CC3 was basically running out of memory when trying to do the export. So I kinda started to work around it by cutting down on 'Large area' maps and doing smaller regions.

This works great except that today after working on a Pete Fellon style map I attempted to export first at 6000x6000 pixels (yes I like big images because it means that I can generally get them printed at what ever size I need at a printer). Then again at 5000x5000 pixels.. Both times I got the error msg above.. Finally I tried 4000x4000 and surprise surprise, it actually exported.

Now to test if it was the sheet effects that was causing it I turned them off and just tried a straight 6000x6000, well instead of a few minutes before the error it was about 5 seconds and the same error came up.

From what I can gather it has to be a limited number of things:

1. Either CC3 isn't supporting the actual export size's. (though I know for a fact you can export at at least 5kx5k because I've done it before).
2. CC3 is running out of memory when trying to gather the items on a sheet and render them out (If this is the problem, then some one really needs to look at the code because it shouldn't be doing this).
3. CC3 is having problems with something else when trying to do the export that i can't work out.

Now I'm suspecting it has something to do with either 1 or 2, but I'm wondering if any one else is / has experanced this.. I am also going to later dump a support ticket in and send (i'm guessing most likely linda) the map that's caused me the problems, though there is honestly nothing majorly special about it.. it's actually a very basic map.

Now if it is a memory issue something does need to be done, because I'm running on a gig of physical ram + 4 gig of swap space. the ram of which is fairly standard for most computers (Yes I do know newer ones are coming out with MORE ram standard). Because I can and do use far more memory then CC3 is reporting being used durring export when I'm working within say Lightwave 3D. (heck I get that above a gig of memory use). With out it running out and throwing an error at me.

Of course this is all running off presumption b/c with out knowing the code behind CC3 and what exactly causes that error to be thrown up, it's a bit hard to tell what exactly is causing it.

-Rob

Comments

• Simon RogersSimon Rogers Administrator, ProFantasy Traveler
    4000 x 4000 is pretty good, and you aren't likely to get better. GetDIbits() is a Windows function, and if it throws up an error there isn't much we can do about it - it's system dependent. We use a free third-party BMP / PNG/JPG converter, and aren't going to be able to address this issue easily, I'm afraid.

I'm not the programmer, so that's all I can tell you at the moment.
  • GetDIBits() is one of serveral windows functions for image converter yes.. but the point i'm making Simon is that a 4kx4k limit shouldn't be there.. especially for printing. The same getDIbits() is used for converting to a print image i've found and the methord is also causing extream eslow down on large exports.. example:

a 4000x4000 image has 4 render passes generally before it starts actually saving the image.
    a 5000x5000 image has 6
    a 6000x6000 image has 8.

now obviously something is happening durring those render passes, I can't comment on what because as I've said I can't look at the under lieing function calls durring that section and I don't know what free third party bmp/png/jpg converter your using.

What I do know is that my machine can handle images of up to 10kx10k from other CAD based applications with out a problem, I've rendered out 3D based extreamly HD images at 10kx10k before for poster etc work.

You might seem to think 4000x4000 pixels is great until you look at something.. a 4k x 4k PNG/JPG/BMP is exported at 72 Dots per inch, which for actual printing means that 4000x4000 image.. goes from the following:

at 72 DPI: 141.11 CM (or 1.41 Meters) x 141.11 CM

to at 300 DPI with out resampling (as resampling technically causes pixelisation and loss of definintion etc) 33.87CM x 33.87CM

that's a loss of over 1/4 of the total image size. Which when you are working with books etc can be a problem, OR when you are working with poster sized images that are not Direct to Printer..

Now before some one tries to tell me I don't know what I'm talking about I do, I have both a Diplomia and an advanced diplomia in Digital Media and Multimedia applications, I've spent 4 years of my life studying image formats and graphics etc.. And I have double checked the export sizes from CC3 - Raster they are in 72 DPI.
  • *sighs* I thought I'd add to this.. Simon, I know you guys are doing your best and I'm sorry if I come across as snappy.. It's just annoying that something that isn't cheap isn't working as it seems it should. That's all..

I know you and the rest of the PF staff are doing your best to iron out the issues, I and I am guessing every one else appreciate it.. but yeah that annoying but.. there is nothing in the documentation at all stating

"Your Bitmap Images may well be limited due to : Point a,b,c,d,e,f"

There's no warning nothing.. What I guess I'm asking for is that either a DPI option be added to allow the images to be exported at higher resolutions for print.. or that the function being used be expanded so that rather then grabbing everything at once etc it renders out in segments and saves as it goes so that it doesn't run out of memory and throw a fit.

I'm not asking for it to be fixed today, or tomorrow.. I'm just asking that it be looked at for the future.. because the Change from CC2 - CC3 with styles means that you can no longer Put out BIG Image files and the like.. I've had problems exporting in CC3 that I never had with CC2 .. but while some might go 'then use CC2 for exporting' CC2 doesn't support the new effects.

*shrugs and sighs*

Anyway sorry if I came across as a jerk earlier. I've had a bad day all round today.

-Rob.
    What export resolution do you get from CC2?
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    I did a few tests on my system to test this out. I used a CC2 map, a lot of symbols on it, but no raster images, which I loaded into both CC2 and CC3. The export was set to "Crop", so since the map was not square, the height on the final image ended up approximately 25% less than the numbers I specified. The export was done to the .bmp format. The export settings were identical in both CC2 and CC3.
    Both tests were done one the same computer, with the same background programs running during both tests.

CC2: 20 000 x 20 000 pixels. I didn't try any higher than this, because saving an image this big took almost 30 minutes to complete, and resulted in a .bmp almost 1GB in size.
    CC3: 4 500 x 4 500 pixels. Anything above this, and I got the "Couldn't get pixels with GetDIBits()" error.
  • edited July 2008
    I tried putting the settings up tp 10000 pixels. It did it in 15 passes without problems. My image wasnt too full of symbols but had a pretty good smattering.
  • Simon, Like monsen I've gotten some decent sizes out of cc2, I don't generally go over 10k x 10k generally only do about 6k x 6k but same deal.. CC3 is only doing up to around 4k / 5k though It does varie based on number of symbols in the map.
    The reason for this (I'd guess) is that CC3, with effects on build up images in memory with each single sheet requiring the full resolution, which is then added to the PNG. It's on the wish list to increase it, but it's not a high priority, in part because it's possible to work around it.