What would you like to see in the Annual?

I figured I'd start a conversation asking what people would like to see in the Annual given you know both Simon and Ralph keep saying if we have suggestions to throw em out to them.

Having brought both the 07 and 08 Annual I can say that they are well worth any one getting just for the tutorials.. the addition of Styles etc just makes it even MORE worth it, as well as the sneak peaks. Anyway with that all said here are some things I'd like to see.

More detailed information on creating Bitmapped based symbols. While i know this means that were likely to see a program other then CC3 used it would be nice to see how the 'Professionals' go about doing their bitmap symbols.

A detailed tutorial on making symbols that are complient with CD3 ;) for when it comes out. ie using the new features etc.

Any new styles we haven't seen for any of the major area's, over land, city or dungeon..

can't think of anything else off the top of my head.

anyway feel free to add to this list :) that's why i posted it up.

Comments

• jaerdaphjaerdaph Traveler
    Along the same line as the heraldry annual, I'd like to see an annual for designing tavern
    signs (or pub signs, inn signs or other trade signs).

Here's some examples of what I'm thinking:

http://z.about.com/d/hartford/1/0/0/3/tavernsign8.jpg

http://www.evanssigns.com/images/history/theswanlg.jpg</>
  • I'd like to get more hand styles like Pete Fenlon style and Mercator or John Speed style. Something like this Tolkien map or this DND map
  • I´d like to get more support for metric maps, but that probably will not fill an entire issue of the annual. But there are some other things I would appreciate:

- above ground temples (might be obsolete, when SM:TTC gets updated)
    - underwater structures
    - non-european heraldry
    - expansion of european heraldry
    - tavern signs and stuff sound like a good idea
    - modern military maps
    - ancient fortifications
  • Simon RogersSimon Rogers Administrator, ProFantasy Traveler
    Posted By: ShadoWWWI'd like to get more hand styles like Pete Fenlon style and Mercator or John Speed style. Something likethis Tolkien maporthis DND map
    This issue is supposed to allow you to produce maps similar to the D&D one, but we will be one to improve battlemats in a nod at the release of D&D4. We'll probably add templates for bursts and blasts, etc, too. We have to be incredibly careful with Tolkeinesque stuff, but we might be able to manage something handdrawn in a similar style.
  • Some more suggestions:

- waterweels, gears, small indoor waterways and stuff to map mines, mills, early modern forges and complex traps
    - pre-modern construction sites
  • ...and:

- a mapping guide for creating floorplans of ships and vessels, especially modern and near future vessels but also sailing ships
    - flags and field signs of different cultures with and without those nice small chasms we all know from Asterix
    - modern buildings (hospitals, labs, law enforcement and military facilities)
  • I would LOVE to see a walk thru tutorial on how to make the one inch grid battlemat maps. For the life of me I cannot get this figured out.
  • Posted By: shadoesI would LOVE to see a walk thru tutorial on how to make the one inch grid battlemat maps. For the life of me I cannot get this figured out.
    This is actually quite easy.

Let's say you want to make a battle map that will have a final printed size of 30 inches by 22 inches (about a standard Postersize map).

Assuming a scale of 1 inch = 5 feet, that means your map is 150 feet by 110 feet.

Start up CC3 and start a new map (I always use for something like this the dungeon style as overland is in miles, while dungeon is in feet), and choose the select setting myself, enter in the values above of 150 feet and 110 feet (doesn;t matter if wide/long or long/wide). Then make you battlemap.

When the time comes to print, hit print, select the SCALE FACTOR button, and enter 1" (paper distance) and 5' (drawing distance).

Viola, you now have a printed map of 1 inch equal to 5;
  • Simon RogersSimon Rogers Administrator, ProFantasy Traveler
    edited July 2008
    You also need to set the number of tiles (X by Y)

I'd recommend selecting the any grid overlay you've added and changing the width to at least 1" and the fill style to solid. Also consider using about 5% overlap on the print dialog. I print to PDF first so as not to waste paper.
  • Mogul76Mogul76 Traveler
    - A guide to mapping ships
    - The creation of bitmap symbols using programmes which are freely available to anyone such as GIMP
  • - A guide to mapping ships would be indeed very usefull, both for my modern and my fantasy campaigns, especially if the annual would include metric templates.
    - Since I have collected several potentially usefull non-metric templates, a documentation on turning imperial templates in metric ones would be nice.
  • An updated version of Mappa Harnica for CC3.
  • Mogul76Mogul76 Traveler
    edited July 2008
    @Greebo

Yeah... The metric templates for DD3 seem to be bugged, Greebo.
    But that’s not a major issue.
    I have just created my first digital battle map ever and will soon show it in the forums.
    It’s a metric map and this is how I did it:
    - Decide how large the battle map should be - in meters!
    - Select one of the “imperial” dungeon map styles (for instance, DD3 dungeon or SS2 Dungeon A) - not metric.
    - When setting the map’s dimensions multiply the width and height in meters by 3.28083; enter the results (make sure to also enter the numbers behind the dots). Example: a 40m2 map --> 131.2332 x 131.2332 ft
    - Don’t put a grid overlay on top of the map – at least not yet.
    - Once the map is there, select Draw / Hex or Square Overlay.
    - Grid spacing: 3.28083 / apply (if you want 2-meter squares enter 6.56166, etc.)
    - Right click Grid (on the bottom right) and then New / choose your settings and enter 3.28083 in the spacing field(s)

Voilà, you’re ready to go...

No need to rescale any tiles or symbols.
  • Id love to see a Symbol Set V2 for CC3 =p. More tree, mountain types. Some more buildings as well.
  • pvernonpvernon Betatester 🖼️ 34 images Traveler
    How about hatchure style maps. Both regonal and overland.
  • I'd like more information on the use of bitmap fill styles, how to create your own, how to use them, etc. I think I've figured most of it out, but still seems a bit confusing to me at times. (I also mentioned this to Joe Sweeney - I'd love to see one of his video tutorials on this). tf
  • Another thought. I recently saw a map on this forum made with library CSUAC. To me, the artistic quality and the use of symbols, bitmaps (I think), shadowing, etc. were really quite amazing. It would be neat to have step-by-step tutorials on creating something like this. Of course, I realize artistic design is hard to teach in a tutorial - but some of the basic techniques would be really cool. tf
  • In all honesty I don't want to see anything that uses a non-profantasy released set of addon's for CC3 in the annual.. No offense to the guys who make the CSUAC etc, but honestly I prefure to have the garrantee that the product is going to be Supported BY profantasy..

I mean I love the idea of more stuff on the artistic side, but yeah.. I just like knowing that PF is there to happly help me if things go wrong with the product.
  • An updated version of Mappa Harnica for CC3 I'd opt for, too.
    You cannot install the current Mappa Harnica on CC3 :-(
    I'd love to see Mappa Harnica updated for CC3 as well.

I also like Greebo's idea for an issue that deals with mapping ships.
  • Modern items, 20th century.
  • Oh yes! I want to second the ships idea.
  • Add me to the list of folks that like the ships idea. I've done a couple of sailing ships but I was never completely happy with them.
  • I'd like to see some battle map content as well, but don't be genre specific. I personally don't use 1" grid. I use 1" hex and 1.5" grid. Maybe add a section on making geomorph tiles for creating quick random dungeons for the various dungeon crawl games on the market.

I'd also like to see an even more advanced Random Dungeon that adds doors and things using full color geomorphs and a tutorial on how to make your own random dungeon geomorphs.

A guide on using CC2 Dioramas with CC3. I am exceptionally good at designing and creating my own paper models but I have the software to do it. Dioramas is such a good idea and I think people need to see just what it could achieve.

Mappa Harnica is a great tool/symbol set

I'd add more sci-fi but I figure that would come when CC3 Cosmographer eventually comes out.
  • @Mogul76: I know you can transform non-metric into metric maps, but when I start a map from the scratch I do not wnat to bother with calculating my maypsize in feet and stuff.

That said, I wonder when Ralf and Simon will have decided what the next issues are going to deal with.
  • 1 month later
    edited September 2008
    "Ol' Skool" overland hex maps reminiscent of 1e AD&D Greyhawk:

I know about the symbols that come with Cosmographer for overland hex maps, but I was thinking something with symbols like in the August 2008 Annual.
  • I would love to see more symbols for Top Down Vegetation. More trees, bushes, etc.
  • Any news on the topic of the October issue?
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    I think we'll have something for our Sci-Fi people in October. They've been a bit neglected this year.
  • That was quick. And some sci-fi stuff would be great.