Getting through Essentials

I've been in the dark for a long time, but I figure it's about time to learn how to use this stuff. I have CC3 and I've updated it. My add-ons are all older CC2 stuff and now is not the time for me to update. Through trial and error, I got through to the Importing Symbols section of Essentials. Now, I had noticed this before. When prompted by the booklet to browse to the Tutorials folder to view or open a tutorial map, it's not there, it's in the Examples folder. The only thing in Tutorials is a Dungeon folder. The Importing Symbols section says to navigate to the Tutorials/PNG folder. No such animal. I'm trying to cram this info as fast as I can so I can become functional (relative term for me) in it ASAP.

In plain English, please tell me what I'm missing.

Comments

• RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    That's is indeed a mistake/omission in the current update. Please unzip this file over your CC3 program folder. It'll add the Essentials and PNG folders under your Tutorials folder.
  • Thank you. And not to be a pest, but I need furniture. I have a bed, a small chest, a chair and a square table with chairs. Where can I obtain more variety?
  • Found a file on the website that should do the trick. I should look before asking.
  • edited October 2011
    OK, I'm a real dummy when it comes to this stuff. I downloaded the BEDROOM SETS.CCX file, placed it in the SYMBOLS folder under USER. I can't find any way to implement a .CCX file. For that matter, I'm having a tough time getting what I see sometimes into the symbols catalog so I can place it on my map.
  • OK, going through the user manual, symbols go into the BITMAP folder. Still not able to access, though and haven't come to a place where the instructions detail handling Corel drawings.
  • it is an old encrypted type symbols set. Since it is based on symbol sets put out by Profantasy, you had to obtain the decrypter from Profantasy.
  • OK, so how do I do that? I'm working now in Editing in the User's Manual and I'm attempting to "Select by Color." I'm directed to select List from the Info menu. The Info menu is in the list of Windows menu items at the top, correct? I click "list" and nothing happens. I can't select anything and right clicking gives me a "Repeat last command" option box.
  • I'm downloading the video tutorials, but I'm trying to cram all this in as short a time as possible.
  • Ralf or Simon will have to answer about the ccx files.
  • edited October 2011
    This "list" thing is giving me a headache. Not a big deal. Eating gives me a headache!
  • edited October 2011
    Trying to do the "Editing with Drawing Tools" lesson and the program crashes after I get a window that says, "ChkData DAV has no pending DRQ MENUDM#fcw32.mnu." Then, "Select Catalog Settings," "CC does not understand the command ''9,'" another "Select a Catalog Setting' and when cancelled, it crashes.
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Can you do a tech support request from your registration page for that last issue? This is handled better via that way than here on the forum.

As for the old encrypted ccx files - I'll check with Simon where we have the support files for that.
  • edited October 2011
    I think someone needs to rewrite the User Manual. I printed out the 75-page manual and it seems every step of the way, I'm flummoxed. I don't think there's one instance so far (I'm on page 41) where I've been directed to right-click and select "Do It," where that directive has even appeared. The VA fed me a bunch o' narcotics that affected my brain. I'm told I'll recover and it is coming back, but I need specific written instructions to learn anything right now. Your instructions seem specific, but they're evidently not explicit. Specifically, tonight I tried tracing. Got the trace OK, but clicking "Send to Back" does nothing. I was very careful to follow the instructions exactly and it's not working. My whole life doesn't work right now, so this is extremely frustrating.

Going through this, it seems I have a problem with "select." If I have the cross hairs, it's no problem to go to a pick cursor, but just going on from my last stall point, it says to click "Erase," then select parts of the drawing. How does one "select" when there's no apparent mechanism for it?

• Sheet order trumps layer order. Layer order is where the 'send to back' command works.

To select.
    Click on what you want to do, then select the map item.
  • I'm sorry, what does that mean? The instructions on page 41 make no reference to sheet order or layer order. If I mess with either, it seems to make no difference in the result. And as for selecting, I do click on what I want to do, but it has no bearing on any map item I might click. It remains just a cursor.
  • Now I'm on page 54. I've created the simple symbol. Instructions say to select Define Symbol from the Symbols menu, the select both entities "we" drew, then right click. First, selecting Define Symbol did nothing and now I'm having the same problem that's plagued me throughout. How do I select the entities?
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Once you execute a command that require you to select entities, your cursor should change to a pick cursor, and the command line should read "Select Entities (0 picked):". No, just use the pick cursor to click on the edge of any entity you wish to select, and it should turn grey if it is a vector entity, or get a grey border if it is a raster symbol. You should also see that the count of picked items in the command line increases.
    Once you have picked the desired items, right click (Somewhere inside the drawing area), then select "Do It" to execute the command you used on the selected items.
  • If you want to drag or re-size a name of a location you have already placed on the map, the pick location is the lower edge of any character.

As an example: you would pick the bottom of the letter 'A', not the top or middle of it.
  • Commands that require one to select entities... two possible examples that haven't worked are Erase and Send to Back. I can't get cross hairs nor a pick cursor from either of those commands. And the editing instructions are useless because I can't get the "List" to work properly.
  • I've looked everywhere for a way to convert those ccx files to png, hell, to anything and I can't find a way to do it. I'm working on a dungeon for GaryCon and I need furniture! I searched on the site and got three files, one madern, one overly simplistic and one that had some good choices, but it's unusable as a Corel Draw file.
  • Ralf works for Profantasy. He'll get a fix for the ccx symbols.

If the item you want to erase is on a frozen layer, you won't be able to pick it.

Front to back doesn't work if you want to move item on one sheet behind something on another sheet. It is for moves on the same layer.

Up at the top right of CC3.

S: is hseets L: is layers

Click on the L: area of CC3. Look at the layer the item you want to erase is on. There are 3 squares beside each layer name. The right most of the 3 squares is the Frozen or Thawed note.

If there is an F in that column, it is frozen. If it is blank it is thawed.

Thawed means you can do things with the items on that layer, including erase them. Frozen means you cannot do anything to items on that layer.

You can also hide all layers except the one you want to work on. Makes it easier to work with things sometimes.
  • edited October 2011
    I've hidden all the layers other than walls. The walls are not frozen. I'm trying to eliminate some wall sections. Erase isn't functioning. I tried Break, but it only eliminates a chunk within the wall. I have yet to encounter a "Do It" command. I'll try that "Send to Back" thing.

Tried the instructions on page 41 again and still no "Send to Back" function.
  • Symbols are on more than one layer. On the walls layer, and symbols layer. Both layers must be thawed and visible to see symbols like walls.

If you made your walls by drawing lines, then you only need to thaw/show the layer you drew them on.

To 'move behind' change properties of the sheet something is on.

As an example; if your rivers are on top of bridges. Move the river to the 'symbols back' sheet.

Or the sheet order should be

rivers
    symbols

That way the river is drawn, then the bridge symbol is drawn on top of it.
  • I just can't get it to do what it's supposed to do. I can't get a list. I can't execute many of the commands. All I'm doing is going around in circles on this thing. If I can't get the program to function using the written instructions, how am I going to learn how to use it?
  • The list command works even if all layers are frozen.

But you have to click on the part of the symbol where it accepts clicks for list or drag, etc.

Please give us an example.
  • I gave examples earlier in the thread, every page in the instructions in which I've had a problem.

1. I'm working now in Editing in the User's Manual and I'm attempting to "Select by Color." I'm directed to select List from the Info menu. The Info menu is in the list of Windows menu items at the top, correct? I click "list" and nothing happens. I can't select anything and right clicking gives me a "Repeat last command" option box.

2. I don't think there's one instance so far (I'm on page 41) where I've been directed to right-click and select "Do It," where that directive has even appeared.

3. Got the trace OK, but clicking "Send to Back" does nothing. I was very careful to follow the instructions exactly and it's not working.

4. Now I'm on page 54. I've created the simple symbol. Instructions say to select Define Symbol from the Symbols menu, the select both entities "we" drew, then right click. First, selecting Define Symbol did nothing and now I'm having the same problem that's plagued me throughout. How do I select the entities?
  • Damn, I wish I weren't so poor. I really want to upgrade to DD3 and CC3. But I really need to get a handle on the basics and the kinks I'm experiencing.
  • After you click on List, select something in your drawing. It will list sheet, layer, color, etc in a small window within CC3.

Since you cannot select anything, all layers must be frozen.

Click on the L: which is the layer prompt at the top of CC3, and click on 'Thaw all'. Click okay.

Now you will be back at the map, you should be able to select anything.

If it still doesn't work, use the brose button at the bottom of your next post and post your map. Well, look at it.

'Send to back' only works if both items you want to send one behind, is on the same layer.

For example. If you want to send a road behind a building. Both have to be on the same layer.

If they aren't on the same layer, the 'send to back' won't work.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited October 2011
    For the selection problem, let us just check that your CC3 options are set correctly before we proceed. This may be the reason you have trouble selecting, so it is worth checking.

1. Select Options from the Tools menu
    2. Then click the "Select Method" button.
    3. Make sure the option is set as "Dialog or Popup".
    4. Click OK in both boxes to accept any changes.

Now, if you click the Erase image button, do you get the pick cursor image?
    If so, can you now select an entity by clicking on it's edge (something not on a frozen layer)?
    And if you now can select anything, if you right-click inside the drawing area, do you get the pop-up menu where you can select "Do It"?

And FYI, those .ccx files from the ProFantasy library doesn't have anything at all to do with corel draw. they just happen to share the same extension which happens from time to time. Hopefully Ralf will be back with a way to decrypt them soon so you can use them.
  • Glory, hallelujah! Now, maybe I can make some progress with this. Thank you!