Windows 8

Windows 8 will be coming out next year. I have waited on upgrading to Windows 7 and now I hear about Windows 8 which can be used for netbooks, tablets and PC's. Having a Netbook and PC and now considering getting a windows tablet I will most likely be upgrading all my systems to Windows 8.

My question is will ProFantasy be looking into Windows 8 as it progresses or is it a wait and see? I've actually stalled on getting Windows 7 form comments of CC3 compatibility with the OS.

Comments

• Simon RogersSimon Rogers Administrator, ProFantasy Traveler
    CC3 runs on Windows 7. I do all my testing on it.

We are keeping an eye on Windows 8, and we'll work to keep CC3 compatible with it. The OS we originally had the most problems with was Vista, but again, those problems are fixed.
  • Thank you for the clarification Simon!
  • 1 year later
  • I'll install CC3 on my Windows 8 Machine at work today and post back later and let you know.
    JSM
  • Installed it a few minutes ago and it works fine. The only small glitch I saw was when initially firing up the setup file Windows brings up a screen that says it cannot install an unknown program or something like that. There is a little hyperlink called more info that if clicked reveals a run anyway button. Otherwise the window shuts the setup file off and doesn't allow it to run. But other than that little goofy Windows security thing, all else was simple. Now I only installed CC3 on the machine along with the update and ImageMagick. I have not installed everything else.
    JSM
  • 12 days later
  • CC3's running fine for me in Windows 8, but I'm having problems with FT3 crashing immediately upon launch. I can temporarily resolve the issue by changing the compatibility mode setting - doesn't seem to matter what I change it to, so long as it's different from what it was previously on. Regardless of what setting I put it on, I'll be able to launch it, work, close it, and launch again later without difficulty for a while, and then it'll refuse to launch until I change to a different setting. Haven't found one yet (including running without compatibility mode) that works consistently.
  • I'll try that one on mine tomorrow and let you know if I have the same troubles or not.
    JSM
  • 1 month later
  • What problems have customers faced with Windows 8? Will CC2Pro AND CC3 run on it? Right now, I have avoided upgrading my Windows version, because I don't know whether it will let me use CC2Pro on it. What is the opinion of readers?

Sorpaw
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    CC3 runs fine on my test installation. CC2 runs on Win7 (With some issues that requires workarounds), so there is a good chance that it will run on 8 as well, but it is not officially supported.
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    As Monsen says, CC2 Pro will most likely run the same ways on Windows 8 as on Windows 7. Not officially supported of course.
  • My CC3/CD3/DD3 installation seems to crash sometimes out of the blue on Windows 8. I don't know if this is a problem created by windows 8, but I don't remember it happening back when I had Windows 7. The error message is simply that FastCad32 bit crashed.

Completely useless bug report, I know - but at least now you know if someone else comes knocking with something more precise.

- Dan
  • 4 months later
  • DD3 crashes consistently in windows 8 when I try to add a bitmap fill style. Is anyone else having an issue like this?
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    You might want to submit a tech support request from your registration page, so we can look into this.
  • 7 days later
  • bearclawbearclaw Traveler
    I do a lot of testing of software for our organization on newer versions of Windows before they come out.

With Windows 8, same as Windows 7, if CC3, addons and Annuals are all installed by using the Run As Administrator option, it appears to work flawlessly. At least, as far as I can find.

I've pushed CC3 pretty hard on Win8 after installing this way and have yet to encounter any issues. Well, let me amend that: the only issue I found was with the menu options showing ALL the addons instead of just the ones I have but I ran the menu fix tool (as an Administrator, of course) and have not seen that happen since.

I should also point out that I am currently testing Win8.1, which is scheduled to come out October, IIRC, and have not encountered a single issue whatsoever when using CC3 or any addons.