Help making a ice Artic region

I am drawing a world map,jst the ocean and major landmasses. I want to know how to add a land mass that is all ice for the arctic regions of my map.

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Grimur Fjeldsted posted this on the CC2-L mailing list about a year ago, regarding ice caps. Maybe this can help you too?
    Posted By: Grimur Fjeldsted1. Download this PNG:
    www.mapventures.com/files/icecap_fill.png

2. Import PNG as bitmap fill(default settings)

3. Create new sheet ICE and place it one sheet above TEXT sheet.

4. Draw polygons for areas of the icecaps

5. Change fillstyle and choose the download PNG

6. Add effects to ICE sheet:
    a. Glow (outside, R 172; G 241; 255; Strenght 2; Blur 3.0)
    b. Drop shadow (X 4; Y 4; Opacity 25; Blur 10)
    c. RGB Matrix (load "lighten.colormatrix")

The result should look like this map (a show & tell if you want).

http://www.mapventures.com/files/icecap_trial.jpg
  • I tried it and it worked nicely. Something I used to do in CC2 was use the cliff face macro along one part of an Ice flow to make it look more like a glacier. After changing the Erase command to Era in the script it worked perfectly fine, buuuut of course it uses flat looking color filled polygons. Now I could go through and change the fill on each section one at a time, but Im not insane (much) nor do I want to be. I'm wondering if anyone has an idea on changing the color selection menus to select fills.
    Use the "Change Properties" (MPEDIT) command. It can work on many entities at once. Then select all the relevant entries by selecting by fill style and colour, instead of having to click on them. This makes it easy to change properties of a lot of entities at once, without having to do each individually.
  • Tahnks for the help, how do I inport this png int CC3.
    Either go into the fill style dialogue, create a new bitmap fill style (name it something useful), and browse to this image.
    Or Tools -> Import Bitmap Fill Styles; Just browse to the folder containing this png, leave the other settings as they are. This will automatically create a fill style from each of the images in the folder you select, named after the filename.
  • Posted By: MonsenUse the "Change Properties" (MPEDIT) command. It can work on many entities at once. Then select all the relevant entries by selecting by fill style and colour, instead of having to click on them. This makes it easy to change properties of a lot of entities at once, without having to do each individually.
    Thanks Monsen. I actually knew how to do that, but was trying to be funny. What I was really trying to do was change the macro lines for choosing the colors used in the cliff face into lines that ask for fill styles to use. I'm not at all adept at writing macros (read inept at it)
  • Thanks Monsen, really help a lot. I got it all to work.
  • 27 days later
  • Is there something wrong with the mapventure site. I can't seem to get to it at all. I was trying to get the glacier.png but its not working
    Don't know if anything was wrong earlier, but it works perfectly for me now at least.