Control Points or Insertion Point?

I modified a Symbol, by making it longer... now the insertion point is not at the left hand edge as it was previously. I have redone the Control Points, I played with the Origin (View > Move Origin) and still when i use the symbol its insertion point is still in the same place. How do I modify this?

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    The insertion point of a symbol is changed by changing the origin. Are you sure you kept the changes when closing the symbol edit window after setting the origin? I did a few tests with several different symbols just now, and this functionality does seem to work as it is supposed to.

Also note that you need to edit the actual symbol catalogue and save it to make this change, otherwise it will only work in the map you did the changes in.
  • I like lists....it makes things easier to under stand...so here is what I am doing in order.
    1) Open FSC Symbol Drawing
    2) Open Symbols > Symbol Manager
    3) Select Specific Symbol, Select <EDIT>
    4) "Draw" Editing Window
    5) Open View > Move Origin
    6) Place new origin at new selected point
    7) <CLICK> on X of Editing WIndow
    8) Select <YES> on Changes Window (so this Keeps the Changes)
    9) Pick File > Save
    10) Open Testing Map
    11) Click <YES> on SAVE CHANGES TO window (so this saves the file again?)
    12) Load Symbol Catalog
    13) Select Symbol that had Origin Point "Reset" - The Symbol Still has the old Origin point.

What did I do wrong?
    Did the symbol you edited already exist in the testing map? If it did, it will use the symbol definition already in the drawing, and not the one from the catalog.
    If you have as much as clicked on the symbol in the catalog with the test map open, then saved it, it will have such a reference. If so, you need to delete it. With your testing map open, enter the symbol manager, find the symbol there, select it, and hit delete. Then just do a purge for good measure, and try your new edited symbol again.
  • Monsen,
    Excellent....Thanks for the help....I wish this had been in the help or the Tome of Design....If it is can you please point me to the page?

That worked by the way....store that fact for later use.....
    I think the principle with symbol definitions being stored in the drawing is in there somewhere, but I don't have an exact reference right now. You might find something by searching for "Symbol Definition" or similar.