DAZ 4

This for some might be old news.
DAZ3D has released DAZ Studio 4. The basic version is currently free. Advanced version is still in the works and won't be free. They do plan to make the basic version not be a freebie in the near future when they come out with a lite web only version of Studio 4. So grab a copy while it is still free.
Also be sure to grab any freebies they have. DAZ has a diffrent weekly freebie that shows up in the free models area each week. They have scifi melee weapons as the current weekly freebie.
You can use DAZ to help make figure counters, and new maps symbols.
A lot of the paper miniatures at RPGNow.com look like they were done using an older version of DAZ Studio or Poser.

Comments

• Yeah, I get emails weekly from them.

The documentation could be much better. I would love to learn how to use Bryce and DAZ. It could be I just don't have much spare time these days though.
  • Jay_NOLAJay_NOLA Traveler
    I agree 100% on the documentation. ShareCG has some good tutorials I found helpfull for learning to use the DAZ software. The Real World Bryce 4 book, while for an older version of Bryce has lots of info in it that is still valid. If you can find a copy with the CD pick it up.
    I ended up doing 2 inexpensive online courses to learn DAZ and Bryce. Was spending about 4-6 hours one average each week for the latter lessons and assignmentts for each class in the latter weeks of it.
    The Daz one was a big help as I was getting overloaded with all the info on using Studio I was finding online.
    For Byce I'd love to be able to learn to do some thing similar to the stuff in the films Planetary Traveller and Infinty's Child.
    If your not familiar with those 2 films both were done using older versions of Bryce.
    Link to Infinity's Child website is bellow.

http://www.infinityschild.com/Home.html

The fottage looks much better on the DVD than in the trailer.

Still trying to learn how to use Carrara too.
    If you know of any good Bleender books or tutorials please let me know.
  • I bought the Dummies book on Blender... it is poorly written.

Animate before learning the interface. Maybe the chapters are out of sequence ? Anyway, it seems to jump around. Not very good.

There is also Google SketchUp. A 3D graphics program. A free version and a $500.00 version.
  • Hmm. I just downloaded this, so i don't know how good it is Blender wiki pdf book

referenced here: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro
  • JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited June 2011
    Oh, get it quick, someone has proposed it be removed from wikipedia. I found this out by looking at the tutorials links on the wikipedia page I mention above.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro/Modeling_and_Texturing_a_Bottle not a tutorial, but a post by smoeone calling for deletion of the tutorial.

Sigh.
    Thanks Jim.

I just downloaded it.

Will definetly stay away from the Bllender for Dummies book.

Finding good tutorial books has been something I've been dealing with when trying to learn how to use the various 3d programs I got.

I've looked at Google's SketchUp a few months agoand opted to stay away from it as every ime I've installed any software from Google it caused problems with my computer.

had something else I wanted to mentionn but my brain has gone blank.
  • It's so funny you guys should bring up Daz here. I pretty-much live on their forums, lol. If you guys need any help, I'm happy to answer questions - if I know the answer. Their forums are pretty good, too. :)
  • JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited June 2011
    I've been there. Nice folks.

Its just that the DAZ and Bryce tutorials don't seem to get to me.

I decided I want to use Bryce and DAZ studio to create 3D houses and people for my Crestar and Star ship sites.
    Agree also, the DAZ forms have some very nice and friendly people.

I'm still trying to figure out when the major sales periods at DAZ are.

One problem I keep running into with some tutorials to learn to use the software is that steps are ommitted from tutorial that ought to be in it or instead of just using "basic content" or free content use all sorts of additional content in tutorials aimed at a beginer that most likely doesn't have it, or may not be able to aford it if starting out.
  • Yeah, the skipped steps is the biggest issue I have. I cannot do a next step, if there are no instructions on how to do it.

A beginner's set of tutorials should all have enough nifo in them to do the drawing.

Or to say: you should have learned how to do the steps in 'list of tutorials' befroe doing this one.

Too scattered info. Not clear and doesn't seem to build on previous tutorials.

One prime example on how to do the tutorials are the ones done for CC2 and CC3. They build on previous tutorials. No skipping around and leaving steps out.
  • 11 days later
  • Posted By: princess azureI am new to 3d and have been messing around with DAZ. I think it could be really helpful with my 2d figure painting. Right now am feeling very frustrated. I let go of some cash for Mil Dog and Mil Big Cats, but have been unable to load these items. I see them in my library but when I click on it nothing happens? I also sometimes cannot select the model no matter what tool I use. Any help at all on these problems would be very much appreciated.
  • We are struggling to learn DAZ as well. A better place to ask would be the DAZ forums.
    If your using DAZ 4 they have a known issue with some items not showing up when loaded.
    You can search the DAZ forum for more info & a solution. I know the items not showing up was covered in a few topics
    A script for DAZ 4 will most likely come out in the future to deal with this from what I rember reading.
  • Hi, just bought Daz 3D Victoria 4.2 Complete and installed all files. Problem is no Victoria model seems to show in Daz 4 Studio. Can anyone help? Thanks.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited July 2011
    Please. This is NOT a DAZ support forum. I'm ok with a little bit of talk about this program because it is of interest to mappers, but support for this program does not belong here. Do not ask for nor give support for this program here, unless said question is directly related on how to use this program with CC3 or FT.
  • Well, that is what I'm hoping to do, create things to put into my CC3 maps.

But I agree, I won't give support here for DAZ items.