Hand drawn dungeon map style

I was wondering if it is possible to add a crosshatching line style to outside the walls of a dungeon map with the tools we have in Campaign Cartographer? If so, could you point me in the right direction to get me started? I haven't figured it out and have put some effort into trying. Might be looking at the wrong things in the help docs.

I would like to do something like this:

http://snikle.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/20110422-095012.jpg

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    I haven't seen that exact hatching style inside CC3, but if you look at the Fill Style Dialog, under Brush Patter, you'll find several patterns that can be used, like one called "Earth". Just use them as the fill style in a regular polygon (or make a new drawing tool if you so desire).

If you have a tiling image of that hatch style available, you could also import that as a fill style, and again use that for fill style in a polygon you draw around your dungeon.
  • jaerdaphjaerdaph Traveler
    edited April 2011
    This bitmap PNG fill was created by Tom Cardin and he shared it awhile back at The Cartographers Guild. You could use it to create a bitmap fill style in CC3, then draw a polygon around your dungeon (on a sheet below your floors - you'll have to draw solid "white" floors to cover it up too) and add some sheet effects like an Edge Fade Inner and Blur.
    Here's a very rough example. I was able to create a fill style with the above PNG scaled checked to 90' x 90', tile to fill. I added a sheet called OUTLINE between BACKGROUND and FLOORS and drew a hollow outline polygon around the dungeon. Then I added some smaller hollow polygons within the big one to create holes and did a Multipoly on all the polygons to get a poly with holes like Swiss cheese. Then I changed the fill style to the one I created above. I added an Edge Fade Inner and Blur to the OUTLINE sheet and then played around with the settings a bit til they looked okay. I whipped this up fast, so with some loving care when you draw your polygon and more fuss with the sheet effect settings, you could probably make it look a lot nicer.
  • Thanks for sharing Jaerdaph & thanks to Tom Cardin !
    Very usefull.
    edited April 2011
    Here's another example - I changed to a fractal poly and added a slight Transparency sheet effect (80%). I think if somebody plays around with it (maybe scaled to 80' x 80' to make the hatching smaller?) you can get a nice effect.
  • 24 days later
  • That is what I was looking for. Thanks for the pattern, the tutorial and enthusiasm.
  • 1 month later
    edited June 2011
    This weekend I purchased this beautiful hatching tile for 99¢ from Robertson Games:
    http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=88378

It comes as a Photoshop EPS file but I was able to export from Photoshop Elements as an 800 by 800 PNG and set up a fill style in CC3. It doesn't come with a formal license but the product description says you can use it for personal or commercial use. Here's a sample I whipped up:
    edited June 2011
    For some reason, I can't upload PNGs from my DROID X...

Getting this error from the message board: Some problems were encountered The file you attempted to upload (oldschoolhatching.PNG) was of type "application/octet-stream", but the file extension "PNG" did not match the accepted extensions for this type of file: rar, RAR, doc, DOC, fcw, FCW, fsc, FSC, fct, FCT, zip, ZIP
    edited June 2011
    The error you are getting indicates that your browser is telling the forum that your png file is of type "application/octet-stream", which is normally used for executables and/or unknown files (generic binary file). A properly configured browser should recognize png files, and report them as "image/png" (or "image/x-png") which is the correct mime type for PNG files.

I'll talk to Ralf about this, we may be able to do something on our end, although technically, this is a problem with the browser config on your droid (Probably something not user configurable though).

In the mean time, please stay on topic for this thread, and don't continue to discuss png upload problems. I've also deleted a couple of the posts above since they do not contribute to the topic.
    edited July 2011
    Okay here's the image I mentioned above:

• 6 years later
  • caveCrawlercaveCrawler Traveler
    edited December 2017
    Posted By: MonsenI haven't seen that exact hatching style inside CC3, but if you look at the Fill Style Dialog, under Brush Patter, you'll find several patterns that can be used, like one called "Earth". Just use them as the fill style in a regular polygon (or make a new drawing tool if you so desire).

If you have a tiling image of that hatch style available, you could also import that as a fill style, and again use that for fill style in a polygon you draw around your dungeon.
    I am trying to do this but I seem to be missing some steps. I am using the guide in the Tome (p 127). Is that the correct procedure to add this to Annual 97? Thanks for any info.
    I see the fill style chapter in the Tome could probably be a bit more verbose, but to import a bitmap fill style, I recommend following the tutorial under the 'Getting the fill styles' heading on page 154. (Ignore the bullet points outside that part, since this bit is part of a larger tutorial about creating map styles.)
  • Posted By: MonsenI see the fill style chapter in the Tome could probably be a bit more verbose, but to import a bitmap fill style, I recommend following the tutorial under the 'Getting the fill styles' heading on page 154. (Ignore the bullet points outside that part, since this bit is part of a larger tutorial about creating map styles.)
    Sorry Monsen, I am just totally frustrated here. It's like reading a tutorial to drive a car then trying to fly a plane. All I want to do is add some alternate wall hatching to Annual 97 like those pics in this thread above. Nothing I read in these forums, the tome, or anywhere else seems to be what I am looking for.. :(
    Just put your image somewhere inside the the CC3+ data directory, best option is a subdirectory somewhere under @Bitmaps.
    Use Tools -> Import bitmap fill styles to import the image as a fill style. Check the create other resolutions option, but don't enable the copy to folder option. Leave all settings at their defaults
    Open up the fill style dialog, select the fill style you just imported and anbable the 'scaled' option. You'll need to experiment a bit to figure out what numbers are good for the scaling, but you can come back here and tweak this after you have drawn something so you can see how it actually look.
    Now you can draw using your new fill. Either just draw a polygon with this fill style and sheet set manually, or create a new drawing tool that uses it.
  • Posted By: MonsenJust put your image somewhere inside the the CC3+ data directory, best option is a subdirectory somewhere under @Bitmaps.
    Use Tools -> Import bitmap fill styles to import the image as a fill style. Check the create other resolutions option, but don't enable the copy to folder option. Leave all settings at their defaults
    Open up the fill style dialog, select the fill style you just imported and anbable the 'scaled' option. You'll need to experiment a bit to figure out what numbers are good for the scaling, but you can come back here and tweak this after you have drawn something so you can see how it actually look.
    Now you can draw using your new fill. Either just draw a polygon with this fill style and sheet set manually, or create a new drawing tool that uses it.
    Thanks Monsen, this helped.