How to trace imported (.png) map

Hey folks. I've used CC3 for about a year now. I'm trying something new. I've imported a scanned image of Europe. I've placed it on a new/separate sheet and layer. No problems so far. However, I'm not sure how to go about tracing. I'd like to trace the outline of the map I've imported. My goal is to create several different maps (using the same continental outline) to reflect various political/religious changes as Medieval Europe progressed in its development. If anyone could walk me through the tracing process, I'd much appreciate it. tf

Comments

• I import bmps, but it should be the same.

I have a layer called bmp I import it on. I have sheet grid active.

I then go to the correct sheets and layers for each ocean, land mass, contours, and draw them.

My sequence is ocean, then land, then land contours.

Then I add borders, rivers, roads, structures.

Note that the map border size should be the same size as the imported bmp or png.

Once I came up with a template I was satisfied with, I use it for all of my surface maps, which are all the same size. 185 miles wide and 234 miles tall.
  • Thanks Jim. I'm currently working on a template. I wasn't sure whether or not there was some sort of a "magenetic tool" that would try to follow the existing image boundary, but I guess just drawing works will too...especially with high magnification. Thanks again. tf
  • JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited July 2018
    If you need examples, here is my templates and symbols page:
    templates and symbols updated July 22, 2018