CSUAC Map

Just thought I would share a map done only with the textures and symbols from the CSUAC.

CSUAC SAMPLE

And the FCW if you would like to see how this was done.

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Nice map, shows some of the potential in the CSUAC.

One problem with the .fcw though; You've used absolute references in all your fill styles, making it very hard for anyone else to use it, if they don't have CC3 installed in the default "c:\program files\Profantasy\CC3 directory", which means most foreign version of Windows, as well as people like me who rarely install stuff at default locations.
  • Posted By: Monsen
    One problem with the .fcw though; You've used absolute references in all your fill styles, making it very hard for anyone else to use it, if they don't have CC3 installed in the default "c:\program files\Profantasy\CC3 directory", which means most foreign version of Windows, as well as people like me who rarely install stuff at default locations.

Ahhhh---ooops...

Fixed it...I think.
    Lot better, although the "Dirt" and "Grass 1" fill styles still use absolute paths. I attached a fixed version to this post

There is still a small issue with the Vegetation catalogues though. Part 1 has a space in the directory name, "BL5_CC3_ Vegetation_Pt1", this looks a bit strange since none of the other directories has a space there. Not really a big issue, since everything works, just a minor cosmetic one. I assume this is related to the original issue with the non-working vegetation catalogues.
  • Ah, that explains what must have happened with the original upload for that one. It's my fault--I had "fixed" the filename, and took out that space when I added the admin material. I did not realize it would impact the internal file structure or the interaction with CC3. With the space added back in, the problems were "re-fixed".
    edited June 2008
    Posted By: CecilAh, that explains what must have happened with the original upload for that one. It's my fault--I had "fixed" the filename, and took out that space when I added the admin material. I did not realize it would impact the internal file structure or the interaction with CC3. With the space added back in, the problems were "re-fixed".
    The problem in this case is the symbol catalogues. These store the path to the image (relative to the CC3 directory), so if these were created with the space there, they would not reference the image correctly when the space was removed. One could still use the images without the symbol catalogue by accessing the image directory directly, but that would mean that the metadata, like layers and sheets would not have been set.
  • Thanks for the fix Monsen. I hadn't realized that creating a new fill style in the FS Properties box dialog would create it as an absolute path. It makes sense, I had just never considered it before. I've learned something new.

The thing is that this is the only way to import just one fill style into a map from what I can see. In the case of the current CSUAC where there are only a few fill styles per folder, importing an entire folder using the Import Bitmap Fill Styles dialog isn't a big deal. But importing larger collections when only one or two fills are needed, especially when they are in different folders, creates a huge list of fill styles that are a pain to sift through. It's just something I'll have to pay attention to if I'm going to share an FCW.

Also, I'll fix the space in the filename and recreate the catalogs when I get a chance. Since this doesn't affect anything except aesthetics I'm not too concerned. Thanks for noticing it though.
    Yes, creating them from the Fill Style Properties does make them an absolute path unfortunately.

I agree that importing them all via the Import Fill Style dialog is not always a good option, especially if you try changing the fill style of multiple objects afterwards with the "Change Properties" [MPEDIT] command. Figuring out what you want from this list is difficult enough with just the default fill styles.
  • Simon RogersSimon Rogers Administrator, ProFantasy Traveler
    Very nice, particularly the cliffs. It could do with some effects.
  • nice map, if i can make some suggestions:

1. run a light outter glow on the cliff's that should give you a nice shadow effect under them.. that makes it look like there is some depth..
    2. add some wall shadow etc to the tree's etc that will add 3D depth to them as well
    3. i normally use a dark grass in smoothed sections where roads meet the grass then add the following effects to the layer it gives a real mix of dirt joining grass (look at the temple map on my charr maps stuff for examples of it along the edges)

- Sheet name: Outside Break up
    - Set above the ground sheets but below any shadows walls etc
    - Effect: Blurr
    - Strength 8 or so

what it does is generally leave the item belo wto show up properly while adding a color gradiant that makes it look dirty etc across it .. as though the grass etc next to it is starting to merge with the path a bit.. ralph originally showed something very very simular in one of the Annuals and I found I liked the effect.
  • Posted By: Simon RogersVery nice, particularly the cliffs. It could do with some effects.
    Yes, true. It could use effects. The only one I used was transparency on the gravel path because it needed it so desperately. *Shrugs* It was just thrown together quick to show off some the CSUAC symbols. What can I say. I'm a lazy mapper. :D

Thanks for the input though.
  • The cliffs look realy cool!
    Those rocks used to build up the cliffs are also from the CSUAC-files? Can someone tell me in which catalogue i can find them?
  • They are in Structures Part 2> Rubble.fsc.

The key to good looking cliffs is to use three or four different rocks rotated at a variety of angles and sizes. Using the shift and ctrl-shift to change size and angle while placing them makes it quick and easy.