Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDron
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2008
     
    Hello, I need to type text with some special punctuation (of Czech lang.) but I found I can only use a few fonts in CC3 to get the needed result (correct punctuation). The fonts I can use has to have a "CE" in the name. This is strange since I know many of the system fonts are in UTF-8 coding which can be used without problems in any other application.
    This seems to me a problem with CC3 which cannot handle UTF-8 fonts correctly. Please, does anyone know how to correct this issue, possibly with some workaround...?

    Thanks,
    Pavel Svika alias Dron
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2008 edited
     
    Are you sure your fonts really are unicode compatible? I did a few tests myself right now, using the Windows 2000 and Windows XP default system fonts. Only an extremely limited number of these accepted Unicode characters properly. I noticed word liked to trick me, by actually changing fonts each time I entered a unicode character, making it look like I could use unicode with every font,although the actual font used for the unicode character was not the same as for the surrounding text.
    Note that I am using english versions of both Windows and Office, so I don't know if foreign versions might have been shipped with more unicode fonts than the english versions though. In any case, notepad doesn't have this behaviour, so to test your fonts, just change the font in notepad and try typing it there. If it works, the font is ok, which means the problem might be CC3, but if it doesn't work in notepad, then the font simply doesn't support unicode.

    In any case, if this is the problem, you might need to stick to fonts supporting unicode, as CC3 doesn't support writing part of the text string in one font, and using another font for special characters. As far as I can see, there would be only two workarounds here. One is to split the string into several strings in CC3, writing the unicode part in a supported font, then position and group them together, or use a painting program to create a .png file with the desired text, then just insert this png file into CC3 instead of adding it as text. None of these are perfect though.

    Someone more familiar with working with a non-english windows version might have a better answer for you though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDron
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2008
     
    Thnx for sugestions, but the fonts are definitely correct - as I already said - they work in any other Window app. The thing may be I am using Vista, but I dont expect this to be a problem (not in this case at least ;) ).

    Even copying the correct text from Notepad (with the target font set) to CC3 with the same target font selected ends up with wrong appearance of some (pucntuated) characters.

    But again - thnx for the suggestion. I think I'll try to ask the support directly - but first I just wanted to know if someone already hasn't solved the problem...