Mahdran - My colossal world with the new Jonathan Robert's mountians style

I immediately fell in love with Jonathan Roberts mountain style and his new structure symbols. I redid my mountains from the old CC3 default mountains into his new style. I think both symbol sets blend decently well. I have posted this map before but I did some major edits to some transition zones in some areas. Also, this is my world map for the MMORPG I am currently designing. My friend who is a DM said my world would make one helluva campaign setting. I would agree! But this isn't your average map. I went into massive detail. I hope you all enjoy. I didn't put any cartouches or sea contours because it just didn't feel like it would fit due to the intention of the world map.

So, enjoy, give feedback on what you think. What do you think is the most creative zone I used with the symbols?

And sorry, for some reason, I can't get make it a link, if someone would please edit that for me.

Click here for the map.

Comments

• Hello!
    I would be happy to get a look at it, but the link points to an invalid image...
    Regards,
  • Not sure what happened anoril, but i reposted it.
  • I got it now! Thanks a lot! (how huuuuge!)
  • JoeyD473JoeyD473 Betatester 🖼️ 2 images Traveler
    I really love the waterfall south of Elrissa the Sunken City
  • 12 days later
  • Wow, working with a map that large has to be tough. I was unable to view it before now, it always gave me an error (perpas I just had to be logged in).

I'd be interested to see what it look slike with the Sheet Effects on. If you already have them on, then I'm guessing you need to scale them up. Your map is so large that all the effects would have to be scaled up from a normal map. Probably multiply all your distances by about 5 for a map of that size.
  • Also...

When you render the jpeg for general critique and viewing online I'd scale it down a bit. Your map is about 10000 x 5000 and 21MB. You might get more people to look at it for feed back if it was about say... 2000 x 1000. You map can still be at 10000 x 5000 in CC3. But when you render the jpeg, you can go to options and set the size you want the jpeg to be.
  • There's no doubt that the mountains look great, but I can't help but feel like they upstage the rest of the map. Although I do like the terrains you've managed to create with liberal symbol use, I don't feel like they measure up to the almost painted-on look of the mountains, particularly compared with the CC3 default mountains that you've left in place, or in some of the terrain transitions (or lack thereof).

The water on this map is in general an issue for me. I would really like to see you do something with the ocean. It doesn't have to be contour lines, but some kind of laying of depths alone would really help. As it is, I look at the sea and just think "fill." And in the lakes and some of the riverine stuff, I think "paint bucket tool." In that same vein, you've spent a huge amount of time detailing the terrain (and kudos on creating so many very unique looking regions), but the coastline doesn't have anywhere near that kind of detail (especially compared to the icy and broken north, which although a bit uniform in its coastline at least leaves the impression of variation). At this scale, you can afford to nook and cranny it.

And speaking of scale, what IS the scale here?
  • @ Valeroth: Yeah it took about 30 hours straight, was a pain in the ass lol. But I enjoyed it. It came out well. I couldn't put sea contours because I imported some stuff from my other maps and it didn't really work well. I didn't know how to make it work anyways. It would crash a lot and bog my computer down. I couldn't render it with sheet effects, just wouldn't. It took 30-45 mins to render without them. If i put sheet effects on the map, I'd have to sacrifice picture quality and I didn't want that at all and that's why I kept it at 21 MB. I wanted viewers to zoom in and look at the composition of the symbols and different zones and such.

@goldgrae: I do see where you say they do "upstage" the map. Those mountains are absolutely wonderful. I've been waiting a long time for a good mountain replacement. However, I don't think the new mountain symbol totally jeopardizes the quality or the flow of the world. And I laughed when you used "liberal" symbol use lol. As a cartographer, my weaknesses do lie with coast line design and rivers. I didn't want to focus on the sea as much, because the land is the focal point. Its designed for an mmorpg that I am creating. So the sea right now is not top priority. The scale is 10k by 6k5 in CC3.
  • To each their own. But, given the amount of time you've clearly spent on your map, the sea feels like wasted potential. And the coastline is a huge part of the map as well. If it is indeed for an MMORPG you're working on, then I would expect that you want the highest production values possible.

Sheet effects would make a big difference. I can see why it won't render, though... it is truly massive. Have you tried, though? Just let it sit for 8 hours to render through? Might be worth it. Otherwise, some post-production in photoshop could help.

Also, the size of the map in CC3 doesn't necessarily equal the scale of the map. Is this actually meant to represent a 65,000 mile stretch? Or is it kilometers? Or not even that?
  • Yes, Ive tried with sheet effects. It wont render. It just crashes every single time. I am happy with it the way I have it. If I didnt have render issues id do way more with it. So since I can't render it. I have to deal with it the way I have it.