Wilderness Battlemaps

Using Dungeon Designer 3 for making dungeon encounters is nice, but does Profantasy have anything to aid in building wilderness encounters? For example, if my PCs are battling enemies in a mountain pass, over a river surrounded by hills and trees, on an icy lake, etc.

If there is, please point the way for me. If not, I believe Profantasy folks need to get a new pack for just this sort of thing!

Comments

• RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    edited March 2011
    Yes, we are a bit light in that department. There are several symbols you can use in the Cave and Debris catalogs, as well as some vegetation in Skirmish (all in DD3). SS2 has some more outdoor symbols. Last months Annual issue just had a good chunk of new vegetation symbols included.
  • This sounds like a good idea for future annuals!
  • Ok, nice, I'll be investing in those lines as well. And if you do ever come out with a Wilderness expansion, I'd invest in that too.

Some suggestions when you do work on it are definitely enscarpments, to help relate elevation (all from bird's eye view of course). Places like hills, deserts, mountains, etc. are all areas where knowing what terrain is elevated, and how high, is important. And of course, different types of trees, brush, snow, flora, landscapes and other terrains, mundane and fantastic, which are probably found in some of your current symbol add-ons.

Personally, my games encounters take place half the time in dungeons and the other half in wilderness or urban areas. The last 2 encounters took place in a hilly area and a forbidding mountainous one.
  • I use different color bitmap fills to show elevation on my surface maps. Modified/created my own template that loads them.
  • 1 year later
  • I would be interested in a wilderness skirmish expansion as well. I'm using CC3 to create maps of battles in my fantasy novels, and while I've been able to improvise, it would be great to have symbols for things like falariques and cheveaux de frise and entrenchments, not to mention various military divisions like pikes, archers, cavalry, etc. :)
  • Simon RogersSimon Rogers Administrator, ProFantasy Traveler
    I've considered CC3 Skirmish, but I'd like to see some example maps of what you'd like to see in such a set. Please point me at any maps you think are representative of what you'd like to see.
  • 2 years later
  • I see this thread is a couple of years old, but I don't think we ever did really see an annual focused on outdoor/wilderness skirmish maps. I'd like to add my voice to those above as suggesting this is something I'd love to see. Simply scattering a few plants and rocks across a flat map doesn't produce a very nice result... I'd rather see something done with elevations.

Here are some examples of outdoor maps with well-done escarpments and cliffs that would be awesome to emulate in an annual...

http://www.beastsofwar.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/GC_Wilderness.jpg
    http://doomedtoreality.com/gallery/albums/d-d-maps/roads-battle-maps/30.jpg
  • The first map you have is hand drawn (so probably tough to really replicate), but the second could accomplished by playing around with the "bevel lighted" effect. I would do it with 2 sheets. The lowest one (on the list of sheets) is the full shape with the lighted bevel effect. The other one on top of it would be the same shape but with an edge fade inner effect (so that the perceived edge of this shape is where you want the bevel to stop) and an inner glow effect (to give the illusion of the base being darker than the top). Not sure if that all makes sense...
  • Unfortunately I can't remember who posted the map in the forums here, but there's a really great one somewhere in here, where the cartographer took some stone objects and really enlarged them. They then, I think, multiple layers and stacked the stones and also used effects on them. This wasn't much help but I'm hoping it might jog someone else's memory about making cliff/escarpments for skirmish level maps.
  • I couldn't find the map I was looking for but this one does a great job with making escarpment cliffs for a battle mat combat.

http://forum.profantasy.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=4535&page=1#Item_0
  • edited December 2014
    Posted By: warhoundI couldn't find the map I was looking for
    This one?
  • edited December 2014
    So I took some suggestions and map this map.

wilderness test map

Overall, I'm happy with how it looks. The beveled edges on the elevations do give the impression of escarpments, albeit rather glossy ones. I added a blur effect to try to minimize that, but the one thing I would say is that using bevels tends to make everything look like it's made out of plastic.

This is based on the Jon Roberts annual. He has some nice vegetation in his symbols, but I've been looking for a good way to draw in vegetation using bitmap fills instead (two reasons - it makes the map file smaller and it's a lot easier to draw than placing bush after bush). On this map I did it with the darkest green terrain in that annual, with a bevel and glow applied to a fractal edge. I don't hate it, and in very small batches it looks good, although I'm not terribly pleased with the look on a larger scale like here. I'm wondering if there's another bitmap out there that would do a better job of looking like dense vegetation (I tried pulling in some from overland annuals, but they all just crashed CC3, not sure why).
  • Shessar,
    Ha!That was the one. I guess it made a good impression on me since it's from 2012 although I'm sure I saw it more recently than that because it's part of the "return of the csuac" thread which I have as a favorite on my browser.

pauldj,
    I like the overall clean look of your map but would take the bevel off the vegetation. It reminds me of tabletop hills that wargamers would use as opposed to the more 'realistic' looking map Shessar has. Each map style is exactly that, a style. I can't tell you which bitmap would work better for you but hopefully you'll find a good one. Show us the finished product if you can.
  • 2 months later
  • Just to pitch in - I am looking for a way to do natural looking outdoor battlemaps with 3D elevation in it. Hardly any battle site is really flat, especially for small unit encounters. Plus I need to make it wintery - snow drifts rather than all black ice.

Now - is there any good way to make a decent looking escarpment (I daren't hope that there are tutorials for it :( )?