Smoothing multipoly shapes

I'm not sure what the best way to ask this is, so I thought I'd attach a map.
Attached is my first effort, just to start becoming familiar with the software.

What is the best way, if any, to smooth out multipoly shapes?
Or should they be drawn as smoothly as possible to start with?

Note the darker green patches in the grass, as well as the brown around the hut and path.
I was able to figure out from the example *how* to draw it, but not necessarily how to draw it in a smoother fashion.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Kevin

Comments

• Underling,

I've not done a whole lot of maps in this format, but have you tried the "Fractalize" option (Edit/ Reshape/ Fractalize)? It can create some funky effects, but it is a fairly easy way to break up an awkward shape.

I've used the "Edit/ Transform/ Straight to Smooth" option as well. You could also just insert nodes in the straight areas to smooth it out.

I'm sure there are people who have much more knowledge of easier ways to do this, but i thought i would share what i have tried.

Good luck!
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    You could also add a "Edge Fade Inner" effect to the sheet with the darker vegetation patches (put them on a separate sheet if necessary). That smoothes the transition between them and the background.
  • It looks like you used an 'unsmoothed' polygon for your colored sections. Try editing it to change it to a smoothed polygon -- that might be all you need. Try both types of smoothing -- they have different ways of smoothing the corners.

Steve
  • edited February 2011
    Posted By: sdavies2720It looks like you used an 'unsmoothed' polygon for your colored sections. Try editing it to change it to a smoothed polygon -- that might be all you need. Try both types of smoothing -- they have different ways of smoothing the corners.
    Steve
    I think they were unsmoothed polygons.
    I'll see if I can figure out how to change them.
    Thanks for the tip.

This is kind of off topic, but I also noticed yesterday after I posted the map that I seem to have put the vegetation layer "above" the grid.
    I need to get that layer moved also.
    Posted By: underling
    Use Straight to Smooth (right-click the Explode button for this command) to do this.
    This is kind of off topic, but I also noticed yesterday after I posted the map that I seem to have put the vegetation layer "above" the grid.
    I assume you mean "sheets" - layers and sheets are separate things in CC3 which work quite differently. Open the sheet dialog (by clicking the sheet indicator at the top of the screen) and move the GRID sheet down in the list until it is below SYMBOLS TREES. Sheets further down in the list draw later in the drawing order and thus appear on top of earlier sheets.

Hope this helps.
  • Posted By: Ralf
    UseStraight to Smooth(right-click the Explode button for this command) to do this.
    I assume you mean "sheets" - layers and sheets are separate things in CC3 which work quite differently. Open the sheet dialog (by clicking the sheet indicator at the top of the screen) and move the GRID sheet down in the list until it is below SYMBOLS TREES. Sheets further down in the list draw later in the drawing order and thus appear on top of earlier sheets.
    Hope this helps.
    Thanks Ralf.
    I'll give the "polygon editing" a try later tonight.

And yep, I got my layer and sheet terms mixed up.
    I meant the vegetation "sheet."
    I got it corrected last night.
  • Please post the 'after' shot too -- it's often helpful for lurkers (and frankly, I'm interested darnit!) to see how it all ended up, even if the change is incremental.

Steve
  • edited February 2011
    Okay, I dinked with the map for a little bit last night, and again tonight.
    Attached is the (slightly) improved version.
    I'm still clueless, but I think the revised map looks a little better.
  • Posted By: underlingOkay, I dinked with the map for a little bit last night, and again tonight.
    Attached is the (slightly) improved version.
    I'm still clueless, but I think the revised map looks a little better.
    Hmmm...
    Didn't work last time, so here we go again...
  • By adding the "edge fade inner" effect to the sheet "outside" with settings of 1 for width and inner opacity of 100 you get this.
    Yep, that's my favorite way to blend polygons into their surroundings.
  • Now *that*... is what I was looking for.
    I wanted to blend the brown with the green, and the darker green with the lighter green, and just couldn't figure it out from the effects titles. :D
    Thanks for the tips everyone.
  • 3 months later
  • Also, add smaller bits of brown on the sides of the path, in the green. That will make it look less landscaped, and give a generally rougher appearance.