suggestion on changing cc2 maps to cc3 maps

I think I mentioned this on the mailing list, I'll mention it here.

I created my own templates and added ditmap fills for my contours.

I have over 1,700 surface maps, some significant percentage of those are still CC2 maps.

So, to convert them I do this.

Bring up CC3, load the template I have for my surface maps with the bitmap fills I am using.

Zoom out past extents.

Insert the CC2 map near the map border for the CC3 map.

Hide and freeze everything except the map border.

Erase the map border for the cc2 map. I do this as I prefer just one map border on a map. Show all thaw all.

Drag the CC2 map over to the CC3 map border and place it.

I then go through all the sheets and layers and change the CC2 items to Cc3 items; symbols, contour colors to bitmap fills, check the map edges for a smooth look, etc.

I do a 'save as' often.

Then save over the old CC2 map filename.

Save as bmp, use Irfanview to convert it to a png file.

Zip the fcw. Make a thumbnail for my worlall surface map pages using Irfanview.

Upload the updated files.

So I load the template, insert map kc

save as kc_001, then kc_002, etc. as often as I feel it needs to be done.

when done I save as kc

I hope that helps.

Comments

• if i can add something to this jim?

the rensym command (typable into the command line) can be EXTREAMLY helpful in updating old cc2 maps to cc3 maps.

I'll run through how I do it here..

After moving all the layers into sheets etc as Jim has discribed and changing any thing that uses a fill to bipmap so I have only symbols remaining I do the following:

add 1 symbol of each of the new type of symbol that will be replacing the old ones off the side of the map (where they can easily be deleted later)

type rensym and hit enter

this will bring up a form that askes you to select the symbol to be renamed.. click on a symbol, then it will bring up another which askes you to select the symbol to replace it with. Click on the new cc3 symbol

what you should see happen is all the OLD cc2 symbols get replaced with the New CC3 symbol. Now you might want to have 'show symbols' selected so you can tell which is which etc.

What I might do later if Jim and no one else objects is get an Old cc2 map from the library that uses the core products and show as a tutorial how to do the conversion (at least how I do it using straight cc3 templates rather then a new one (jim obviously has reasons for his own templates as do I but most users prob won't)
  • No problem. I was mostly telling the basic steps.
  • 8 days later
  • Of course not all of the "old" symbols from the "old" add-ons, such as the combined wooded hills for example, have corresponding new symbols. Or if they do I have somehow not been able to find them.
  • Correct, not all cc2 symbols are avilable in cc3.