Fractal Terrains Features

Simon RogersSimon Rogers Administrator, ProFantasy Traveler
Which features would you like to see in the next version of Fractal Terrains?

Comments

• CC3 export. I always have a problem turning the globe and getting the display to move the longitude lines. I would love to be able to shift the poles down into the main part of the display so I can better see what is around the poles.

I remember that 180 degrees longitude causes problems, so if its waaaay too much to fix, I'll settle for just a CC3 export.
  • I should be cleaer... if the change above takes an entire revision number, there are other things i would prefer. Which is Character Artist improvements.
  • I would love a layered .svg export option and also a shape file export option too.
    An easier jpeg export option which just exports the map rather than the map and a lot of background would be great.
  • Having access to the roughness channel via the Scripting feature would be great and so time saving. Also, if possible, perhaps something along the lines of a simple exponent feature similar to the one available in Wilbur. As I remember, there were problems with the latest update in terms of opening .mdr files as well, and, perhaps, a solution to the occasional problem when trying to "Save as" and image format with the a grid enabled. Other than that, I'm fine happy with the way it works right now.
  • jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    edited January 2011
    Posted By: Greason_WolfeHaving access to the roughness channel via the Scripting feature would be great and so time saving.
    In the scripting command, the layer names are offset, scale, rainfall, temperature, prescale, and altitude. scale is the roughness channel that you're looking for. That's based on the current code - your mileage may vary.
    Posted By: Greason_Wolfesomething along the lines of a simple exponent feature similar to the one available in Wilbur.
    There's an exponent operator of sorts available if you're willing to edit the world definition file (.srf) file. In the entry marked "Misc", the parameter order is land exponent, sea exponent, flip longitude, and automatically calculate world parameters. Use notepad to edit the srf file and tweak these parameters. Putting it on the user interface might be a nice to have, but I'm not sure how generally useful most folks would find it.
  • Sorry meant to add, Shapefile imports would be great too, so we could use data from Natural Earth and Open Street Maps.
  • edited January 2011
    Posted By: jslayton
    In the scripting command, the layer names are offset, scale, rainfall, temperature, prescale, and altitude. scale is the roughness channel that you're looking for. That's based on the current code - your mileage may vary.
    Fair enough, I was about to contact you about the difference between Scale and Prescale, but that answered my question rather nicely.
    Posted By: jslayton
    There's an exponent operator of sorts available if you're willing to edit the world definition file (.srf) file. In the entry marked "Misc", the parameter order is land exponent, sea exponent, flip longitude, and automatically calculate world parameters. Use notepad to edit the srf file and tweak these parameters. Putting it on the user interface might be a nice to have, but I'm not sure how generally useful most folks would find it.
    Interesting, I'll have to play with that at some point. And it's all good, can't learn the little things without asking the big questions.
  • Fix the terrain painting feature so you could trace hand-drawn landforms. Joe, I've sent you several feature requests over the years to be able to use your wonderful program but to control the landforms manually. This is a major feature hole for me, and is the reason I moved to other terrain generation programs even though I like your program best overall.
  • Another "bug fix" about the draing at longitude 180°/-180° ! I got strange behaviours there (spot montains...)
  • Posted By: Greason_Wolfe...and, perhaps, a solution to the occasional problem when trying to "Save as" and image format with the a grid enabled.

Joined forum just to report that problem, found this thread instead. Lucky me

1. Transverse Mercator Projection is number 1 on my list. Save me a lot of work. Tried moving pole, but then you lose editing.
    2. I do a lot of tiling. Removal (optional?) of shaded left and bottom borders on png and jpg exports would be nice. Save a step in the workflow.
    3. More control of tiling options, deeper tiling - tile a region, maybe direct support of Google Maps tile set
    4. Is .mdr format documented anywhere? I think I have it figured out, but knowing would be nice
    5. Expand scripting and macro to allow access to at least projections and client window

That is it for now. I love this program.

Great program,

• 23 days later
  • Not sure if this is already present or wouldn't be helpful, but is it possible to include an option for hardware acceleration for advanced gamer GPUs to speed the display rate and/or world calculation rate (whichever requires the output to be slower than ~24-30 FPS)?
  • 11 days later
  • For me with FT, I am always trying to recreate my world and therefore building from scratch or heavily altering a random world. The trouble is that micromanagement tends to lose the "feel" of the randomly generated worlds. So, anything that helps simplify detailed manipulation of the world would be great.

My "ultimate" version of FT would have the ability to do many instructional overlays for a blank map: outlines for the continents and islands, lines for the where major rivers should be, outlines for lakes, and suggested terrain heights for plains, hills, and mountains... and then hit a button and have FT "randomize" within the desired parameters. Then I could really go crazy!

But of course, that is more than a feature, that would be a major undertaking I suspect.
  • edited March 2011
    I haven't had a chance to play with scripting much, but from reading the help file, I think there are some more advanced options that can be added. Since I haven't gotten that far into it yet, I don't know how feasible these suggestions may or may not be, so take them with a grain of salt.

Perhaps moving selections (this one's kind of iffy, but what I have in mind is possibly using it to emulate wind currents by modifying rainfall and/or temperature downwind of features, so you would select your initial area, then move it X distance in Y direction).

Selecting by Lat/Long ranges could be handy for weather manipulation too.

These may not be of interest to anyone but me though. I like automating tasks with scripts.

The scripting text file does not list things like Fill Basins or Incise Flow. (Never mind those two, found them in a different scripting file) Access to all of the menu options through scripts would be great too, if any are missing. Being able to Save or Save As the file from a script could be handy too, to avoid running out of memory during a long string of commands.

I am not entirely sure how this would work, but having the ability to work on subsets of the map would also be great. The fractal functions work to any granularity, depending on the settings. But the pixel map limits the resolution of work you are able to do. If you can define a region and create a sub-file with it's own pixel map, work and edit that sub-file and save it, then have your changes there condense back up to be reflected in the main file (could be as simple as averaging the values in all sub-pixels back up to the main pixel). There is a potential problem if two sub-files are adjacent or overlap - some way of coordinating between them would be optimum. Mind you, I am not sure *how* you would do all this. ;) A lot of that depends on how the data is stored and accessed.

(I keep editing this post as I figure out things I've posted are possible, or as I think of new things)
  • I did literally just start a few days ago, but I have used a lot of engineering programs like Autodesk and such.
    What I would like to see is a bit more access customization. Such as making the toolbars on the top bottom and sides collapsible with a tap staying to bring it back (giving a cleaner feel and bigger viewing/working space)
    Some of the tools were way too big for what information they showed so maybe when you have a tool free by itself it would be capable of being shortened or lengthened.
    The Globe Tools could be made a part of the work area by getting rid of the background on it and making it transparent when the mouse is not on top of it, and it could be improved by being able to select specific sides of the globe(front, back, left, right, top and bottom)
    Another thing is that when you are viewing the planet as a globe you could click and drag it to rotate it.
    And lastly Terrain tools such as cliffs, valleys, water falls, lakes, volcanoes and pits(sinkholes?)
  • Ditto for the coments above plus being able to save the map as a cube, six sections, so it can be mapped to a subdivided cube in a 3D app.
  • 1 month later
  • - Being able to export Lat/Long gridlines
    - Being able to create/export contour lines

These next ones might start to be scope creep outside of FT's intended market, but:
    - Ability to place points on a map (cities or other location markers)
    - Ability to draw borders
  • edited April 2011
    Retention / Preservation of the Image Climate operation - and with the added versatility of handling not only Jpeg and Windows Bitmaps, but also non-lossy (lossless) image formats such as importing / exporting maps and Climate Images in .png, .gif, .tga, tif / tiff, xbitmap, and possibly Jpeg 2k formats. You might also consider animation (globe spin) export capabilities in .avi and / or flash formats, or possibly Quicktime MPEG format (you might consult with the folks over at Apple about the licensing and rights issues concerning Quicktime export optioning).

.AVI animations however - would be much more versatile for users to integrate into their own larger media projects. VRML export is nice, but many more folks use more popular and widely used video formats for integration into media projects and animations. VRML is (in my opinion) becoming less mainstream - and more academic and specialized, particularly since special viewers and browser plugins are often required to get VRML files to function. You could even have the option of exporting jpeg images representing each individual frame of the spin animation automatically to a user selected folder - that way the user could assemble their own animation using Windows Moviemaker, The WAX editor, Adobe Premiere, or any number of a thousand other video apps allowing frame by frame image pasting operations.

It would also be nice (although not a critically necessary thing - just an afterthought) if you could improve the ability to import and use a few more of the same filetypes that WILBUR can import.

Also - I'm sure your already working on the preliminaries of this - but improving CC3 integration would also be an idea, although not by crippling the app's ability to function as a "stand alone" prog.

Another point would be improved and expanded image editing / painting tools for tailored terrain. Random Gen is quicker - but making the terrain tools a little more versatile, intuitive, and expanded (more options) would expand the market by causing the app to be more attractive to those who might prefer "hand crafting" their terrains.

I have also noted several users making comments about "Ice Caps" and free floating Ice Formations as a desired option. You could accomplish that by somehow tieing in a well measured graphics effect subroutine with the map's climate plotting methodology, such that Ice would appear in Ocean Areas based upon temperature versus mean annual precip for specific geospatial plot points that fall into the "Cool Zones". This should be a function that can be switched off - however - should the user prefer a more straight forward map.
  • edited April 2011
    Two options on the Export Multiple Files dialog:

1) When you are filling out the dialog, it would be nice to have an indicator giving the scale the maps at that level would be. I realize that the scale actually changes the farther away from the equator you get, so I would give the scale as it is at the equator, or as close to the equator as the View being used gets.
    2) A checkbox at each level for putting in a scalebar on each exported map. While I would only use miles, I'm sure there are plenty of users who would want km instead, so you would probably want to let them pick. The scalebar should be approximately 5-10% of the image width, rounded to the nearest neat integer.

Map Viewing:
    1) The ability to zoom to a view that matches an exported slice of a map, or possibly a text file with each map exported (or embedded in the accompanying html file) that gives the dimensions of that slice. Coordinate boundaries, scale, width and height in miles/km, that sort of thing. So that if the user wanted to look at a section of a map in FTPro that matches one of the map slices that was exported out, all the information to duplicate it is available.
  • The ability to designate what sheets and layers the land, sea, rivers and mountain altitudes are exported to. It would make applying effects so much easier.
  • 13 days later
  • I don't know if I'm too late to add a request, but I would love the ability to zoom to a certain scale (such as 1 inch to 1000 miles, etc).
  • Zooming to a precise scale... that would be real handy. Nice one.
  • 3 months later
  • Another random thought: A script command to run another script. Infinite recursive loops that crash the whole computer are solely the fault of the user. :)