Can CC3 save files in CC2 format?

I am guessing the answer is no. Since I already have a sizable investment in CC2 and since not all of the products are out yet for CC3 I'd rather not migrate to CC3. However, I have a friend who is thinking of buying Campaign Cartographer. Since I will likely be working on the maps that she creates, it will be a problem for me if she can't save them in a CC2 format.

I tried to find the answer to this question in the forum but could not.

Thanks in advance for any help.

John Barnes

Comments

• Kinda....

The biggest problem is that CC3 supports a bunch of stuff that CC2 doesn't so for the most part the two file's are really compatable. I know when CC3 came out I could do straight vector stuff in 3 and then reopen it in 2 with only some minor issues but not a lot.

Also you have to remember that CC2's stuff for the most part is supported in cc3 in most ways the only things that aren't are the atlas's for the most part.. and you can still use all your cc2 stuff, in cc3 just import it in.. Ie use cc2 when cc3 product isn't avalible then import it into cc3.
  • I just tried an experiment with CC2 and opening a CC3 map. The outlines all showed up but of course the fills did not because they were not in CC2.When I used the change fill command it allowed me to use any of the BMP files in CC3 but not the PNG files though I'm sure I could convert them to BMP files but Im lazy so I won't. I I'd like to say that the move to CC3 was well worth it for me. Despite some initial hiccups (mostly do to Vista) all of my addons work with CC3 perfectly fine and in fact the addititional bitmaps and symbols are really great. migrating my CC2 maps was no problem, but I doubt very much I'll use CC2 to create new maps as CC3 is to my thinking what one expects of a program update. It really adds some great features and tools, and the look of my new maps even using addons that are not yet migrated to CC3 is excellent. The only thing I don't like is the lack of full documentation, but the basics of map design are still pretty much the same, and the essentials and tutorials do a pretty good job of introducing the new stuff. So to bottom line this I would say if your friend gets CC3 they will be pleased and you will be jealous.
  • Thanks Rob and Gregwr for your responses and your comments. So it sounds like there is some potential to use CC2 to read CC3 constructed maps. It also sounds like I will be able to use my City Designer and Dungeon Designer in CC3. I'm still a little hesitant to go to CC3. However your comments Gregwr are encouraging.

Thanks,

John
  • John I use both DD and CD in CC3 with out any problems. DD has been fully updated to CC3 whilie CD is compatability updated (no new art work yet).
  • Ok, Rob. That helps. I just looked at a sample file for DD3 which has some stunning graphics. I'll be interested in seeing what they eventually do graphics wise for CD3.
  • John, the Charr maps I've posted up generally = CC3/DD3/SS2 V3 with some of the annual, you can also see somewhat of what CD3 is going to offer by looking at this year's Annual (it has a bunch of preview in I think March)
  • I looked at your Charr maps, Rob. They are very nice. I'll have to take a look at the Annual.

John