Some questions

Hi there. I am new to the forum and fairly new to campaign cartographer. I have messed around with the trial in the past, but couldn't figure it out but since my boyfriend has a copy I have been playing around with it more and he showed me the basics. I went ahead and bought the Tome but haven't really found exactly what I need for what I am planning and am getting a little bit frustrated because I can't figure it out.

I want to built an entire world from scratch to use for an MUD I have been working on. What I would really like to do is create a world with all the continents layed out (I need to get the fractal mapper) and then make increasingly smaller maps starting from one 'corner' of the globe and working my way across. Basically, I want to go from a world map, to regional maps, to area maps. I would really like them to fit together like puzzle peices.

I don't suppose there is a way to cut and copy a square of certain proportions from an existing map and then transfer it to a smaller one? I know you can cut and paste like a continent and then trim the edges to fit, but I really haven't had all that much luck doing it.

Any suggestions would be great,
Shadow*

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited June 2008
    Because the way CC works, just copying a square is kind of difficult, because it operates on vector entities, and not pixels.
    If you go to your registration page, and hit the link to the Map Maker's Chest in the right hand side, you'll find an article, "Local Map from Regional Map", which nicely explains the details.

There is an experimental feature in CC3 that can be activated by typing "cutmenuon", then restart CC3, which will add a new "cut" menu to your menu bar. This feature can be of help when trimming a map, but note that it is an experimental feature, so don't expect it to always work as desired, or to find it in any documentation.

I assume you realize that creating a map like you describe is a huge undertaking, as you seem to want to map out the entire world down to a detail level. You might wish to ask yourself if you really need this. Not trying to discourage you here, but starting out this ambitious can quickly lead to a burn-out.
  • Heh, I can't do anything small. I plan for the 'world' in general to be small, and the 'known world' to be even smaller, but I want room to expand from the known world into the rest of the world through storylines and exploration. Also, since I am creating a text based game, I think it would greatly help me in the long run if I could 'see' what I am describing as a whole as well as in parts. I think I am probobly going to save up for the fractal mapper, but I may have to scale down my ideas in order to do them efficiently if I can't figure out how to do what I want.

Thanks for the advice, I am going to go check out the chest for that tutorial and see what I can do.

Shadow*
  • JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited March 2010
    Here are the tutorials I have on making a small section out of a large map, and another one on matching the edges of maps.

Crestar mapping tutorials