Another First CC3 Map

Here's my very first map (after about 100 revisions of this n that!). It's a 100 sq mile wilderness map with a broad swathe of very rough terrain in the North West inhabited by (as per the map..) Orcs!

Things I would do differently if doing it again:
1. Less mountains and more spaced out trees. I think I crammed too much in there and it's not *quite* the effect I wanted. Put in three tiers of contour lines and wanted them marked with different styles of mountain as I went - but I'd definitely reduce their number by at least 50% and space them out a lot more.
2. More watercourses - possibly - whilst CC3 is used to scale a certain size of map, I dont think it should go all the way down to "babbling brook" level.

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    A good first map.

You already pointed out several of the possible inprovements yourself, and I agree with your assessment.
    I would try to illustrate the precence of Orcs differently. Right now, it looks like e regular map label, indicating the name of the place. Maybe use a bit more describtive text, like "Here be Orcs!", or replace it with a symbol.
    The yellow glow along your lakes also look strange. It makes them look like they have sandy beaches all around them. Unless they really have this, I would drop that glow, or at least select a different color.
    The rivers leading into the lake from the west also looks a little bit to "heading straight east". Perhaps change the direction a little bit, and maybe make at least one of them wind a bit more.

Also, the water seems to be running down from Barcher's Lough and down into Low Lake, but water doesn't run from this lake?
  • I like the forest and the background. Very nice. Especially how it thins out towards the South like that.

Suggestion:
    What strikes me is the rivers from the mountains. Those flowing from the mountains are quite straight.

Rivers tend to fall into 3 stages, Upper, Middle and Lower rivers. Upper rivers (those that start in mountains) tend to be small, lots of tributaries running into it, fast, rough and slightly winding with lots of rapids. Middle Rivers are often very wide, winding with random-looking turns, curves and occasional rapids. They often form ox-bow lakes especially on flatlands. Lower Rivers are broad, fat, much more straight, with gentler curves, that lead to the oceans.

The river flowing from Barcher's Lough is perfect for a Middle Stage river.

I say this because I've noticed with a lot of overland maps, that this single concideration (the stages of rivers) goes a LONG way in making a nice looking map. I put a lot of thought into the river before placing anything else as that will have an effect on the rest of the map. Mountains, hills and vegetation are all going to be affected by the route of the river.

Look forward to seeing more maps from you!
  • Thanks for the comments. I'm also not *quite* happy with how the rivers looked - but have since played a little with the fractalise polyline tool. Going to use this next time around. I think when I originally did them I was trying to convey possibly the fact that the rivers descended more or less from high climes to sea level raather quickly, and then meandered south to the ocean. Read an excellent post on cartographersguild.com to do with placement of rivers and catchment areas, and was sort of trying to emulate the methods described within - but the only real problem is that the supposed flat part of the maps (ie those without mountainous contours) arent totally flat, so, without putting in every little hillock and slope on the map it kind of goes a little "off". Thats not to say I could zoom in a section and place such items. At the moment I've went backwards and done a zoom out version of this for a world map, and work continues (when not working for annual salary that is!) on this project.