Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorJay_NOLA
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2010

I was wathing the FT tutorial videos on You Tube and in one of the videos you see a "Layers" page in the export filter.

One the comments about the video asked about this and the reply was that video was made with version 2.4.

Where can I download a patch or something to upgrade to 2.4? My version just reads as 2.3

The video I was wathing is at this link if your not familar with the one I'm refering to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scc-yjK2qBM

Thanks
    Hi Jay...
    FT Pro 2.4 is in beta test right now as far as I know - I assume that it should be out shortly once a few minor bugs are ironed out.
    • CommentAuthorJay_NOLA
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2010

Thanks for the answer.
    I started playing with FT Pro again and looking at what was on the web for it after seeing your great stuff.
    Thanks Jay, F.T. Pro is actually a great app.
    • CommentAuthorIstafar
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2018

I have just started using fractal terrain 4, nice program.

I am trying to export the world map to CC3, I have watched all the tutorials I can, but they all seem very outdated. Mostly done years ago, what I want to find out is which file type setting should I use.

Most of the videos use something called Europe export, there is no Europe export anymore, so what is the best one to export the world too?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

That really depends on what you want to export. Personally, I usually use the Coastline Only one, at max level of detail, because I plan on using symbols in CC3+ to map things, and not height contours.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

If you also play, or have a web site for, Traveller, FT can export Traveller worlds. I have used it to make about 1,200 such worlds.
    • CommentAuthorIstafar

JimP, love Traveler but I haven't been able to get the core book anywhere.

It is one game I would love to play in person, on an actual table.
    • CommentAuthorIstafar

Monsen, I do like the idea of having of having the colours and contours that I could use as guide lines for the map features.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2018

Then use either the altitude or basic settings. Unless you want a LOT of contour lines, only use Basic 100 on smaller areas with a limited height range
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2018

Posted By: IstafarJimP, love Traveler but I haven't been able to get the core book anywhere.

It is one game I would love to play in person, on an actual table.

Far Future Enterprises sells a cd full of pdfs, if you are interested in Classic Traveller. Marc Miller put it together.

http://www.farfuture.net/
    • CommentAuthorIstafar
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2018 edited

So I created and exported a map set in basic 100 and when I tried to drill down to the other map levels they were blank, any suggestions?

Also what is the best map type to export the whole world (multilevel) to fantasy grounds, ie: mercator, miller cylindrical ect.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2018

Did you try a zoom extents after opening them? The default zoom level for new FT exports are usually a tight zoom on a small part of the map in the bottom left.

That aside, I don't really recommend using the multiple file exports. It creates a bunch of maps divided up around an artificial grid, often ended up with a division straight down central places. Instead, I recommend doing as we do with the community atlas, exporting the top level map, and then pick regions of appropriate size to make detail maps from, without limiting ourselves to a specific chunk size. these regions can either be mapped by extracting the contours from the parent map, or by zooming in on that location in FT and do a new export of that particular area.