How do I make a half circle room?

For the life of me I cannot make a room into a half circle. I've tried to [BREAK], [TRIM], and [SPLIT] and cannot figure out how to do it. I have CC3 with all of the extras. What am I not doing right?

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    One way of doing it is to use the Arc tool [ARCB] to draw your half circle, then use line to path [LTP2] on it, and finally use path to poly [CLOSEPATH] on it. This will create a half circle. If you are mapping a standard dungeon with floors and walls, you will need to make a copy of this object and edit the properties. One of the copies should have a width and the fill you need for walls, and the other should have a zero width, and use the fill style you use for floors. Remember to place them on appropriate layers.
  • JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited October 2010
    I use the polygon tool. I imported as scanned files, into CC2/CC3 my old paper maps. For the half-circle rooms I used the polygon room tool, upper left after clicking on DD icon.

Click on DD icon.

The room and passageway tools show up, upper right. Whoops ! Upper left.

Right click on room tool, select polygon room.

Follow the scanned in map lines for the half-circle room.

I found an example on my web site:

Dwarf Home, level 4
  • Thanks! That looks like the way I'll get it done.
  • You're welcome. Note I said right when i should have said left.
  • The ARC tool worked fine. Thanks everyone!
  • 4 years later
  • edited November 2014
    so i'm trying to use the Arc tool to draw a wall but all i can get it to do is draw a LINE, not the wall with fill that i've been using from the wall tool. i'm using the dungeon designer plugin/tool for the walls. any suggestions would help.
  • Cheezegr8r, try using [T]race on the arc. Start drawing the wall that goes into the arc, and then hit T, select the arc as the object to trace, click one end of the arc, click the second end, and then continue drawing the wall after that.
  • Arc only draws a line. There might be a way to fill it, but I've never done it that way.

I used the polygon room tool under Dungeon Designer.

Left click on 'Add room' upper left corner of CC3. Select what you want for Floor background by using the pull down menu.

I haven't tried using other fills not in the list, you may have to create your own drawing tool to do that.
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    edited November 2014
    I second the "Trace" option, it will work fine on arcs.

Is to set all the drawing properties to be like the wall (easy way to do that: Draw a piece of wall anywhere, use KEEP on it, then delete it again), and then use the ARC command to draw the section of curved wall.
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited November 2014
    The Arc command let's you make a wedge. if you use a starting angle and ending angle 180 degrees apart, it will create a perfect semicircle. It looks like Cheesegr8r may have done that. Like Cheesegr8r, though, I can't seem to make a wedge arc look like a wall. I can make a solid floor. I can also make a hollow shape but I can't seem to give the hollow shape a line width and bitmap fill. I can only give it solid color outline of fixed width.

I couldn't, for the life of me, trace the arc.

My workaround was
    1. Draw the floor as a wedge.
    2. Select the wall properties I wanted and draw a regular arc over the curved part of the room.
    3. Draw a straight wall along the straight edge of the room.
    4. Use the CORNER command to close the gaps at each corner of the semicircle wall.
    Ralf, any suggestions to make that easier? Or is it impossible to do?

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    edited November 2014
    The problem is that the Wedge command creates a multipoly, and you can't trace multipolies. I recommend the following:

- Draw the arc of the room only (not a wedge) on a temp layer as a help/construction line
    - Start a floor drawing tool and trace the arc (F5 to start on one end, hit T, trace the arc to the end, left-click to finish tracing, right-click to end the command and close the floor)
    - Start a wall drawing tool and do the same again. You can combine these two steps by creating a "Room" drawing tool that has the floor as the main entity and the wall as the outline entity.

Here is a quick and dirty video, how I did it in CC3/DD3.
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    Ah! That explains it, thank goodness. I feel a lot better, ha ha!

I tried it according to your video and it worked flawlessly. Thanks!

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag