A few Quick questions in cc3

Hey all! I just purchased CC3 about a week ago and have been messing with it alot during this time, this is my first venture into something like this and had some questions.

Just to be quick if some questions can be answered with an easy "Look up X in the help" please do so, I usually am adept about finding the answer if i know the general area.

1. I am having issues with selecting items not on the current layer selected, E.G. I have a land mass with a forest, with the symbol layer selected (and sometimes hiding all others) i will click and drag around all of my trees and delete them, sometimes it will select the landmass underneath and earse everything rather then just the trees.

2. Is there any good basics tutorials? like basic basic? Im trying to read the help file as i go but sometimes watching something or listening helps better.

3. I have seen some maps from people who are amazing and one thing i have noticed is that their terrain is often softened, is that from a filter or a 3rd party process like photoshop?

Thanks for your time!

-Hz

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited June 2008
    1. The selected layer/sheet only has with placing items. It does not limit which items can be manipulated (for example deleted). After working with CC3 for a while, you would find it VERY annoying if you had to switch to another sheet and/or layer all the time to manipulate items.
    If you need to protect entities on a certain layer from being selected, you can always go into the layer dialogue, and use the "freeze" option for the relevant layers. This will prevent them from being manipulated. Or, when selecting entities, after selecting everything (including the landmass), just right click, select "Combine -> not", then right click again, select "layer", right click, select the appropriate layer in the box (You don't need to set the check mark, just select it in the list), click ok, and the stuff on the layer you just selected should be deselected again.
    Hiding sheets and layers are also an option, since hidden items can't be selected, but then you don't really see how things fit into the whole.
    Also remeber, that if you select to much, you can just hold down the "control" key, and click on the edges of the selected items to deselect them. Feel free to hit Ctrl+R in the middle of a select operation to refresh the map as well. It is completely safe to do this in mid-command without having to start anew.
    There are several other ways of accomplishing this with as well, which is one of the things that makes CC3 so powerful.

2. Have you read the quick quide that comes with the program? There is also a very nice video tutoraial in the June issue of the annual, but this is a pay product. The Tome of Ultimate mapping is also a pay product, but has lots of good tutorials (It is for CC2, but just abou all of it still applies, CC3 just has gotten some new stuff in addition). Also, from your registration page, get the "Complete Cartography Suite Manual". Also for CC2, but full of good stuff as well. The CC3 manual is underway, but not ready yet.

3. Most of it is done using Sheet Effects in CC3. Look up "Sheets and Effects" in the help files for some information about this. The video tutorial mentioned in item 2. above also explains quite a bit about effects.
    Of course, some people also use an image manipulation program like Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro to do some post-processing, but with sheet effects, you can do most stuff inside CC3 itself, not to mention that you can do various effects on each sheet, something post-processing in an external program cannot do.