Planetary Empires

So I wanted some way to make random battle maps in hex. Here is what I have come up with.

I need to trim them a little better so they will fit more smoothly. Printed on 300 gsm cardstock.

The triangles on the edges are hooks. You just hook the hexagons together to form your map. I still have not decided which map style I want to use. I may have to wait until I get Cosmographer 3 to make the final decision. I will be using these primarily for Planetarystrike campaigns for Warhammer 40,000

Comments

• Wowsers. Plleeaaasssee show us how you made those. I'm not sure what you mean by the hooks. I suppose it is so they don't wobble when minatures are used. But construction details would be great. Pppleeeaaasssee !

( Gee, I hope that worked, that was my best Roger Rabbit imitation.)
  • Reminds me of the map tiles from Mighty Empires
  • Posted By: MobiusReminds me of the map tiles from Mighty Empires
    Yeah that was the point. I have some Planetstrike plastic tiles but they are only half painted. This way I can use these until I get them painted.

The hooks on the ends was started by Ebbles Miniatures in his paper models. several people have started to use them in their commercial products so I thought it would not hurt to use them for my tiles.
  • Reminds me of the stuff that I use to see over at the old Terragenesis website. NICE!, Warhammer has been a biggy on the game scene for a while but I never got around to getting any of the materials. I particularly like the Necromunda genre though - the starter kit came out with a set of awsome plastic modular bulkheads that you could incorporate into a lot of scratch built buildings and hive structures. Flat hex boards looks like they're pretty straightforward for storage to.
  • Posted By: JimPWowsers. Plleeaaasssee show us how you made those. I'm not sure what you mean by the hooks. I suppose it is so they don't wobble when minatures are used. But construction details would be great. Pppleeeaaasssee !

( Gee, I hope that worked, that was my best Roger Rabbit imitation.)
    I opened Fantasy Worlds template, added a hex grid, made a larger hex frame, then made a new layer and framed off the 6 hexes. I add the terrain with the hex grid on. I then made another layer that consists of the triangles on the sides of the hexes.

I save the image as a PNG at H=3508 and W=2480 so it will fit on an A4 sheet at 300 dpi.

Then I use a hobby knife and cut them out. For the triangles on the sides I make a cut from the centre going towards the right on ALL of them. This makes it like a hook so it will hook with the other hexes and secure them together into a sheet.
  • this is the sort of thing that would go great in a annual i feel
  • Thanks !

I'll ... well, work has gotten busy, hopefully eventually I'll be able to make some floor tiles and do the same. Hopefully, my result will match my old floor tiles. Which are 1 inch equals 10 feet. I have some scans on Crestar.