Text on map questions (please help)

I am an absolute beginner, but from what I have read here it looks like some of you are professoinal auto-cad programmers. Please forgive the inanity of my questions but I am a straight up beginner.

1. How can I get my text labels in CC3 maps to remain "above" trees and other entities? I am just too retarded to figure it out, even with the help guide.

THanks for any help you can provide my fellow hobbyists. Matt, Boston MA USA.

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited June 2008
    The simplest way of accomplishing this is to make sure you place the text on a sheet that is above the other entities. Most maps include a default "Text" sheet that is conveniently placed near the top.

Before placing text, just look at your status bar at the top, to make sure you are on the text sheet. If you aren't, click the indicator, and select the text sheet before placing your text. For already placed text, use the '"Change Properties" command on it to change sheets
    Note that in the sheet dialogue, the further down the list an item is, the higher up it gets drawn. So the items on the last sheet in the list gets drawn on top of everything else.
  • Cool. That makes much more sense.

Except - now when I go to add text, it goes through the normal "text properties" window, but when I hit ok, all I have is a crosshair that does nothing to the map. Am I on the wrong layer?

By the way, thanks for the help...
    edited June 2008
    Is your text height set to a sensible size? The text height is measured in map units (which is equal to miles or kilometres on an overland map, feet or meters on a dungeon map). If it is set too small, or too big, you won't see the text when placing it. (If it was too big, you can do a zoom extents to "find" it after placing it).
    A good way to get the appropriate value, is to use the "Info -> Distance" menu item to measure the desired text height on the map itself, then insert that value into the properties box.

Also, you do type in the text to be added to the map, right? If you just bring up the properties window, you are not actually adding text, just setting default properties. Make sure you bring up the actual "Edit Text" window, where you type in the desired text, to actually get any text to place on the map.
  • 7 days later
  • Monsen -

Yeah, I was drawing text about the size of a blade of grass...

More questions to come, trust me.

Keep helping me like this and I will be sending money to your paypal account. Your advice is valuable to me...

Thanks
    Matt (GreenBeginner, feeling greener every day)
    No problem. Just ask when you need help, and we'll try to keep helping...

In the mean time, enjoy mapping...
  • Simon RogersSimon Rogers Administrator, ProFantasy Traveler
    Some older templates don't have a TEXT sheet or automatic text setting.

To correct this on your map:

1. Select Sheets and make sure that you have a TEXT sheet above all the symbols, possibly below the GRID.
    2. Select Drawing Properties on the File menu.
    3. In the box labelled Text Sheet type TEXT*.

This means when you add text to the map, it will be added to the TEXT sheet, regardless of the current sheet. (It will also add to any sheet in which starts with "TEXT", so that you can have TEXT SMALL and TEXT LARGE for example)
  • jaerdaphjaerdaph Traveler
    Thank you for pointing this out, Simon! I've been looking for a good way to ensure text ends up on the Text sheet. I always seem to forget to change to that sheet when adding text at least once per map, so I end up creating extra work for myself.
  • Simon RogersSimon Rogers Administrator, ProFantasy Traveler
    edited June 2008
    Posted By: jaerdaphThank you for pointing this out, Simon! I've been looking for a good way to ensure text ends up on the Text sheet. I always seem to forget to change to that sheet when adding text at least once per map, so I end up creating extra work for myself.
    Yes - it's one of the main reasons we added this functionality, but many of the templates were created before we added it. We'll correct this in the next free update.
  • 11 days later
  • Any of you guys read George R. R. Martin? Song of Ice and Fire, Hedge Knight, etc...?

I am trying to map Westeros (the North mainly). If any masters out there have already worked on this, I would buy their work in a second.

Any advice is appreciated.