Continental Coastline

Ok I'm a total noob, I've never even really used any mapping software before so please forgive my.....noobishness.

Anyhow, I want to create a coastline of a larger continental landmass. I'm actually creating from an already existing map, and I want to create a part of it. Anyhow, the problem I get is when I draw the fractal coastline and then right click to finish it, the program takes that line and creates an island out of it. What I want to do is create the line, then fill one side of it as a landmass and the other as ocean. I looked through help and couldn't figure it out. What do I need to do?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    What you need to do is to continue to draw the landmass along the map border, instead of ending it immediately when reaching the border. CC3 will prevent you from drawing outside the map border, so you'll notice if you click outside the border, the line will follow the map boarder precisely.

The point to remember about CC3 is that you don't draw a dividing line, then fill the various part, but rather draw a complete object like a landmass on top of the ocean below. This is why you need to draw the complete landmass as explained above, since CC3 will automatically draw a line between your ending point and starting point, and fill the resulting object. Thus, you need to draw in such a way that your ending and starting point is very close together to get full control over the shape.
  • Thanks, that's very helpful!
  • Ok, so I have my landmass created, not how the heck do I fill it? I'm looking through the help and can't seem to find it (to tarded I guess). I'd just like to lay down the default terrain, can't seem to get it to do that though, everything's water.
    If you used the landmass tool to draw the landmass (Leftmost toolbar, top button), it should automatically be filled in an appropriate color/pattern. You can also right-click this button for more options.

To change fill style of an existing landmass, use the "edit Properties button" (OR the "change properties" one), and select your new fill style.
  • If it doesn't fill, then FS, fill style, is set to hollow.
  • Is there as way to fill after the fact if it was accidentally set to hollow?
    Yes, just click on "Edit properties", select the entity, and select the new fill style. Hollow is a fill style like any other, so when selecting another style, hollow isn't applied any more

Note that for an object to appear filled, the "width" must also be set to 0. (If it is set to a non-zero value, you get a filled border around the entity, of the defined width, instead of filling the entity itself)
  • Grrr...I'm sorry, but this program has a great way of making me feel like a complete idiot. So when I go to Edit Properties, then select entity (say and island I created) the only thing I can select is the border of the island, and all that does is change the color, fill style does nothing as far as I can tell.....

I suck at this.....
    edited June 2008
    Try using "Change Properties" instead of edit properties. "Edit properties" only works on one entity, while "Change properties" lets you change multiple. This might help if there is more than one entity stacked on top of each other.

Also, make sure that the entity you are trying to fill is actually closed, as a non-closed entity cannot be filled. If you used the landmass drawing tool to make it, it automatically draws a closed path, but if you used any of the path drawing tools, it might not be closed. Note that in a CAD-based program like this, an entity isn't automatically closed even if you manually place the end at the same place as the beginning. You must use a polygon drawing tool.

CC3 has a certain learning curve, because it is quite different from normal drawing/image processing software, like Photoshop or similar. The best way to get properly used to the program, is to start out with the tutorial in the quick guide. Then, get the Complete Cartography Suite from your registration page (You'll need to register CC3 if you haven't already). This manual is for CC2, but most of the manual is still very valid.
  • I appreciate the help, I know once I get the hang of it it'll be alot smoother. I did the quickstart, but I think I'll need to do it again, as well as read all of the manual as well. I do have the full version of the program, I'll go get the CC2 manual. Thanks much!!
  • JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited June 2008
    Did you download the Cartography Complete pdf available on your registration page ? Towards the bottom right. 8 megs.

It is for CC2, but many of the same principles are used for CC3. It has lots of tutorials in it and will be helpful in getting used to the interface.

The registration page at profantasy.com, log in. and look down the right side of the page.
  • Yeah, I'm gonna go do that today.