Can't uninstall/re-install update 8

Short version: Have Windows 7; I installed CC3 (with DD3 and CD3), had some problems, which I tried to resolve by uninstalling from Program Files and reinstalling to a new folder on C: drive. Re-installed program successfully to new folder, but I try to run Update 8, and I get "error -11". CC3 WORKS, but is v 3.24, and won't update to 3.40. I think has something to do with Update 8 not uninstalling or installing properly during first install. This is probably at root to do with my incompetence I fully admit, but I'd appreciate advice. I emailed Profantasy tech support about this a week ago and they (unusually) never replied.

Long version:
My computer: HP Pavilion with Windows 7 Home Premium 64, 128 M VRAM, 4G RAM.

Background: I installed CC3 package to Program Files (x86); was getting crashes on sheet effects. Users here advised me to uninstall and reinstall to a different part of the hard drive.

I uninstalled CC3 in reverse order installed--tried to uninstall update 8 first, which showed up as a separate "program" in my list of installed programs to Windows, as it was the last thing I installed. It seemed to try to reinstall itself instead (and can't seem to find the CC3 install). I thought, huh, well, I'll uninstall everything else and see what happens. Everything else uninstalls fine, but cannot get update 8 uninstalled--it still tries to "look" for CC3 (a Profantasy folder even mysteriously reappears in my Program Files (x86) as if it is trying to put something there) but when I send it to that folder it just keeps asking me to point out where CC3 is, making the dialogue box refresh itself. The only thing I can do is cancel out.

Not sure what to do, so I just decide to go ahead and install CC3 etc. to a new folder (I install it to C:\CC3). I do have to open CC3 to save the welcome screen so DD3, CD3, etc. finds the new installation but once I do that, everything else installs without problem.

I try to run Update 8 patch from scratch. It finds the new Installation, but hangs on install and gives me an "Error -11" message that simply says it failed to install.

Looking at add/remove programs, Update 8 is still installed from the first time around, still won't uninstall, ALSO now gives "Error -11" message. CC3 version says 3.24 so it's definitely not updated (that and I can't access the new features like anti aliasing settings).

I am guessing I screwed up something during uninstallation and Windows still thinks Update 8 is swimming around somewhere and won't let me reinstall it elsewhere.

I know enough to guess that Update 8 needs to be deleted from the registry before I attempt to reinstall it. But I DON'T know enough (I have never edited a registry before) how to do that with making things worse.

(As mild consolation, I am at least not getting the sheet effect errors I was getting before, but I'd like to be able to have the most updated version of the software!)

Thanks for any suggestions or advice you can offer.

Comments

• which update 8 ? There are two on the downloads part of the registration page.

Use the one under the CC3 part. The other one is for CC2 users.

The one you want to use is titled: CC3Update8.exe

Just hover your mouse over the link to see the filename.
  • I had this problem too with win 7 and reinstalling to a new folder. update 8 refuses to accept another destination folder for whatever reason. You will need to extract the files manually and then install them, bit of a pain!
  • JimP, it's definitely the CC3 one because beyond being careful to download the right one, I had no problem installing it the first time around. It's the reinstall causing the problem.

IanBear, thanks, I will try that--glad to see I'm not the only one who had the issue.
  • I had the same problem with Vista. When I looked into the 'Program Files (x86)>>ProFantasy>>CC3' folder I found a file named CC3P8.exe. I ran that file where it was and copied everything that it generated in that folder to my CC3 install folder and had windows overwrite when it asked if it should. That seems to have worked for me.
  • I'm having exactly the same problem, and have been dedicatedly installing/uninstalling for the last 4.5 HOURS, also working from another thread to do with the "FCW32.exe" error. Nothing seems to work, this being my last option other than to wait for Tech support. Did all above as described including moving every thing that the CC3P8 generated into the main install location - no luck, still getting the "FCW32.exe Has stopped working..." problem. Thing is, it seems that once or twice in a blue moon it works ok and I can save a map - and my own workaround now is to NOT start a New map, which seems to be the cause of the problem, but to Open an existing map, and then work on this.

Of course, if I'd known that this Vista compatible program was going to have such problems (such as official Update not installing to correct directory) I'd have had serious second thoughts about buying the program.
  • Hopefully none of you are installing into Program Files as Microsoft fixed that so some installs simply won't install correctly.

Installing all of it, including CC3, into C:\Profantasy\ will work. I had to do this on my Vista computer.

As for it only being Vista compatible, I used it on my WinXP computer before I got Vista.
  • *sob* does this mean ANOTHER uninstall/reinstall???
  • If you installed CC3 into C:\Program Files\ yes.
  • Simon RogersSimon Rogers Administrator, ProFantasy Traveler
    I am sorry - Ralf is away at the moment, and will have to look at the reinstallation and path issues when he returns.

So as long as you install as Administrator (right click on the Setup file and click "install as Administrator", it should be fine. I suspect (though I'm not certain) that if you don't install as Administrator and you do it into a non-Program Files path, it will work anyway.

@JimP- It should be no problem at all to install into Program Files with Vista and Windows 7, as long as you install as Administrator. We fixed this over a year ago. I have Windows 7 and that's where I have my CC3. It's the default path in fact for CC3. The problem is that the installation software we use until very recently could not reliably detect if someone was installing as Administrator - Ralf checked this with the beta testers. The most recent version should be able to do this. The frustating thing for us was that if you didn't install as Administrator, instead of just failing to install, it installs but did not function properly.

Please note that thousands of people have download the update, and about a third of them use Vista and Windows 7, and all but a tiny fraction have no problem. I realise that doesn't solve your problem, but I don't want people thinking it's a general problem.
  • I actually installed to C:\CC3 which I thought was the preferred location but it still generates the error message. Still waiting on Tech@profantasy to reply for the official word
  • SheelonSheelon Newcomer
    edited September 2010
    Does anyone know if this IS related to the FCW32.exe error? It seems part and parcel of the same error to me. On that thread the guide from people who've had the same problem was to install to C:/CC3, and to install updates to there, and it pretty much seems to be going the same way here. I'm about to try yet another un/reinstall to C:/profantasy and install updates to there as suggested in this thread, and hope for the best. It's getting very depressing. I just want to map.

Edit: Oops I mean of course to C:\CC3 and thence C:\Profantasy\CC3
  • OK, reinstalled everything as directed here and in the other thread, all done as Administrator. Installed to Profantasy\CC3, installed patch as advised, and installed SS1v3 - first map try, FCW32.exe has stopped working... I'm getting exasperated now.
  • JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited September 2010
    Uhm, Simon is the owner of Profantasy. I don't see how it could be anymore official of a reply.

I installed in C:\Profantasy more than a year ago.
    @sheelon I'm trying to track down your tech support request.
  • SheelonSheelon Newcomer
    edited September 2010
    Sorry only getting back online now - yes, selected Setup program with right click and Run As Administrator, whilst of course being on the Admin account. Did this for all 3 setups (CC3, Upgrade8 and SS1v3).

Edit: installed into Profantasy CC3 folder, avoiding Program Files altogether. I realise it's got to be something in my configuration for the laptop or possibly graphics etc. The thing is, on one or two of the FCW32.exe crash outs, its obviously saved the map settings and drawn up the map as the crash only seems to occur after I've named the map itself. The next time I've opened the file the map has been onscreen and I've worked contentedly away for over a week at it now. The problem seems to be when I attempt to create a New map from the menu - again everything seems to work ok until I name then hit enter to begin...error appears.
  • I remember these issues from a while back. I will look into my old emails and see if I have any info. Something Simon or Linda said either fixed it or it went away.
  • Update:

Thanks to intervention by Ralf - the problem is now fixed.

To confirm: I had installed at one time or another to Program Files, or Profantasy, or into CC3 directly, applied Update8 and at no time would it work properly - I continually got the fcw32.exe error, which relates to having Administrative privileges when installing. However I was in the Admin account, and all installations/updates were done on Right click/Install as Administrator. No effect, problem persisted. It appears that only with the latest beta patch has this been resolved. I also continue to Right Click and Run As Administrator on the program shortcut, in case this has any effect.

Thumbs up to customer service from Profantasy.

Many thanks

Sheelon
  • Edit: I AM still getting occassional fcw32 errors, but it does not seem half as bad as the prior to this latest patch. More testing to follow.
    Posted By: SheelonEdit: I AM still getting occassional fcw32 errors, but it does not seem half as bad as the prior to this latest patch. More testing to follow.
    Would you be willing to join our beta test list?
  • Update from my end:

Manual unpacking that dapstccg mentioned worked, as far as I can tell.

Ralf sent me beta which also seemed to install fine.

HOWEVER now I am back to another error I reported a little while ago: when I go into Sheets and Effects and try to change the distance of wall shadows, the program crashes. Editing other sheet effects works fine, and leaving shadow length to default works fine (sadly, the default shadow lengths are too long to actually look good). You will see from the other thread that users suggested my install being in Program Files was causing the problem, but as this new install is safely far away from Program files, this is obviously not the problem.

I also note that before I installed any updates (was working in v. 3.24) AFAIK (but I can't recall 100%) I was not getting this error.

It might be the manually installed update 8. Shall I uninstall/reinstall again? *sigh*
  • Further to my last few posts, I've been running tests on and off the last few days. Only empirical result so far is that it appears to be when I attempt to make or access a dungeon map in any instance. I've tried altering the sizes/background of various maps, and it *mostly* seems to work fine, apart from an odd error and crash, but it's really only whenever I attept to create a new dungeon map ~ note this is ONLY the Dungeon Cartographer within CC3 and NOT Dungeon Designer related in any way.

Further testing to follow.