Winter Map

I've decided to get some input on my current project. I'm prepping for a winter city adventure for our gaming group. This will be a Tavern exterior battle mat, but does not have the grid added yet. I want to get the map looking good first since this will be used numerous times in my next few adventures.

Right now, this map looks too flat to me, despite the sheet effects. I'd welcome your input.

th_CupBonesExterior.png

Comments

• There's no shadows. What about adding shadows of different hights for the trees, buidings, walls and smaller bushes? That should add the perception of depth.

I've always tried to add 3 different shadow effect sheets for different hights. 2 is sometimes enough but really tall trees or towers add a nice difference to the whole overall look. IMO.
  • Thanks bearclaw, but in truth there are shadows of varying heights. I wish the directional wall shadow had the ability to use different colors. Even after trying varying opacity and size, the grey shadows just seem to blend into the already monotone setting. Trying to simulate snow is tougher than I thought it would be.
  • The map looks fantastic! great job.

I would make one small comment though. There is a small gabled roof coming out of the roof of the building in the upper left. There isn't any snow along either gable line or the peak. This makes it look like there is an arrow placed over the building. Just a tiny touch of snow to break up the lines should get rid of the "arrow".

I really like the footprints in the snow. That must have taken a lot of work. Kudos!
  • Really nice map. Truth is, most winter days are pretty monochromatic, and this captures it well.

Regarding more depth: One thing that strikes me is the lack of shadows/depth cues on the roofs. You might just put a translucent grey (or grey-blue?) polygon over the sides of the roof that are shaded -- play also with adding another sheet with another translucent polygon for the areas that are even lower, or do a color gradient.

I don't know if that will do it, or be enough. The trees also might could use some depth too. Put some white snow highlights in the highest parts? The bare tree in the courtyard strikes me most, but the evergreens are flat too.

All that is suggestion -- the map is great as-is.

Steve
  • edited August 2010
    Love this map ! It really represent winter.

Note that the chemneys on the main building have contradicting shadows... I don't know what will better enhance the other shadows, though... Increasing the opacity or perhaps decreasing the radius of the black glow...

All the same, the map is indeed really good as-is.
  • Wonderful input guys. Thank you!

I think sdavies hit it on the head. The roofs have little to no shadows. They appear too flat. I think I'll take Joachim's advice too and play with the shadows and glow a bit.

LOL at Old Guy. Darn it, now all I can see is that stupid arrow on the roof. Will fix that on the actual Symbol bitmap. Thanks for noticing that. :)