Windows 7 Fixes - yours, mine & ours.

I have windows 7 Pro (64bit) build 7600. I wanted to open up the topic of issues that are seen with windows 7. If there is already a post on this topic then please feel free to send me the "verschließen" pulse.

1. I was making my maps and dungeons and towns and lovin' it. I looked in my folder where I was saving things and noticed that there was a little yellow lock in the lower right hand of every one of my maps. I looked in the windows exploder and noticed that I could not see any of my maps! After looking about in the security settings it dawned on me. You cannot save maps or any other drawings into a sub-folder of CC3 because that puts it under the "Program Files" folder. The Program Files folder is protected and although you can save things from CC3 into it or folders inheriting its privs you cannot move them or go get them from the explorer.

so ... Short version: Save all of your maps in a sub-folder of "YourUserName\My Documents" and you should be OK.

Comments

• I had the same thing happen I'm using Windows 7 (32bit). What was weird is that I was able to open my saved maps that were in the program folder at first. After using the software for about 2 weeks I couldn't access my saved maps due to the security issues. I think a Windows update may have been the cause.
    I do store all my user maps in a seperate folder. One of the video tutorials recomended that.
  • If you run windows as administrator you won't have any file issues and you will be able to save and access all of your files
  • I'm running Windows as an adminstrator and the file problems still exist. I just use a seperate folder to avoid the problem.
  • Windows 7 is just as picky as Vista about c:\Program Files\

My CC3 install is in C:\Profantasy\CC3\
  • Posted By: JimPMy CC3 install is in C:\Profantasy\CC3\
    Same here. I have no issues with Win7 and CC3 at all now.
  • I'm still having problems installing the Annual updates - even if I open the file as administrator it still gives me a problem and doesn't install all the information. It also seems to have lost a bunch of updates and examples for older annuals as well (especially involving the Traveller load).
  • Administrator or not, vista and win7 have issues with giving you full rights to /Program Files. If you install somewhere else, everything will work as intended.
  • 1 month later
  • Another bug/issue (I have Windows 7 64-bit) - I fired up CC3 for the first time, clicked on the "Click here for an overview for new users" link on the intro page that appeared in the main window, clicked "try our ten minute quick start guide", and was told that it was in an old version of help that Windows 7 didn't support. Not so useful.

This page on the microsoft support site is relevant: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917607

Apparently the old .hlp file format hasn't been supported by microsoft since Windows Vista was released, so I'd suggest that profantasy fix this at some point. Is there an updated version of that help file around somewhere?
  • Simon RogersSimon Rogers Administrator, ProFantasy Traveler
    Posted By: EDGAnother bug/issue (I have Windows 7 64-bit) - I fired up CC3 for the first time, clicked on the "Click here for an overview for new users" link on the intro page that appeared in the main window, clicked "try our ten minute quick start guide", and was told that it was in an old version of help that Windows 7 didn't support. Not so useful.

This page on the microsoft support site is relevant: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917607

Apparently the old .hlp file format hasn't been supported by microsoft since Windows Vista was released, so I'd suggest that profantasy fix this at some point. Is there an updated version of that help file around somewhere?
    You are right. We'll update the intro page.
  • To be fair to Win7/Vista, this isn't a new restriction. They're just enforcing it more strictly than XP did. In XP, if you ran as administrator (which, let's face it, nearly everyone did) you could save files anywhere you wanted. If you ran as a normal user, though, you were not allowed to write to the program files folder. Vista and Win7 just go a step further by requiring you to confirm the action, even when you're running as administrator. This is by design, because saving documents in the same folder as the program binaries is just a bad idea in a multi-user environment. That's why users have their own document space.
  • You are right. We'll update the intro page.
    Good to hear. It's a bit off-putting when the first tutorial doesn't work ;).
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    edited October 2010
    While the fix is unavailable in CC3, here is a version that should work in Windows 7. You'll need to open this manually, as the help menu is linked to the old file.
  • sdavies2720sdavies2720 Traveler
    edited October 2010
    Ralf, I downloaded Guide.zip, extracted to a scratch location, and opened Guide.chm (I'm running Windows 7). I got an error:

Navigation to the webpage was canceled

What you can try:
    Retype the address.

Not sure what the issue is, or what webpage it was going to -- there were no screens before this one (other than the warning about opening a file from an unknown publisher)

Steve
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Have you made sure to place the file on a local drive on your computer? For security reasons, windows does not allow you to run help files from untrusted locations (this includes network drives, and designated download directories, and some other places)
  • Monsen, obliquely that was the problem.

This is a local hard disk, a second one in my computer, from which I do all my installs, everything.

I double-checked that it would work for .chm files by copying another one to that location and it opened with no problems.

But that triggered another 'what if'. So I went into Properties for the Guide.chm file, and it was flagged as coming from another computer. So I clicked the 'unblock' option and saved my changes. Now it opens beautifully.

I'm not sure why this particular file got flagged when many others (including .chm files) that I've gotten from others came through without a hitch. But that's the solution for me.

Steve
  • it is a Vista and Win 7 problem.

When I bought my Vista Home premium computer, I put my WinXP hard drive in an external case to copy files over. It didn't work for all the files in the same folder. I had to install a registry fix called 'take ownership' from http://www.vista64x.com/ which gave ownership of that hard drive to my account on my new computer.

After that, the files copied over just fine.
  • I am having a problem with Win 7 (64-bit) also. It seems that my pre-designed overland templates are not working at all :( I just got the program two days ago and was really excited about getting started, but first I had the help issue when I tried to do the tutorial, so I fixed that and then I could not get the templates to load, no matter what I did. My husband is an IT Consultant and he runs CC3 fine on his 32-bit Win 7, so he seems to think it's a 64-bit problem? Has anyone else had this issue? I can't do ANYTHING to learn the program at this point :(
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Please send us a tech support request with the details of your system and the problem you're experiencing with the templates.
  • This was sort of mentioned, but you have to donload and install WinHlp32.exe the Microsoft knowledge article link that was posted has download links to it. I'm using Windows 7 (32 bit) and CC3's help files do work when you have that installed.
  • Posted By: MamaMercI am having a problem with Win 7 (64-bit) also. It seems that my pre-designed overland templates are not working at all :( I just got the program two days ago and was really excited about getting started, but first I had the help issue when I tried to do the tutorial, so I fixed that and then I could not get the templates to load, no matter what I did. My husband is an IT Consultant and he runs CC3 fine on his 32-bit Win 7, so he seems to think it's a 64-bit problem? Has anyone else had this issue? I can't do ANYTHING to learn the program at this point :(
    Hi MamaMerc

I'm using CC3 with cites and cosmographer on win7 64bit and it works OK, so I don't think there is a fundamental problem with the 64 bit Win7. I did make sure I installed it outside of the programs directory, though, as Win 7 and Vista prevent you from writing to that folder. I have mine in a c:\profantasy\CC3 directory which seems to work fine.

G.