Translating Units to Real World Measurements

Hey everybody -

I'm trying to use CC3 to generate a figure in square km for the approximate area of a triangle between three fictional settlements in the real world. (I'm using the map downloaded from http://www.profantasy.com/library/default.asp?Keyword=earth&PP=9&Start=1&Image=6 for this purpose.) The map's drawing unit is 1 inch for unit. What calculation do I perform to translate my area result to sq km (or any other area measurement, which I can then convert to km?)

Much obliged.

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited June 2008
    1 square inch = 6.4516 × 10-10 square kilometers (Google calculator is a nice tool)

Just multiply the result you get from CC3's area function with this number, and you should have the results in km2

The map you linked to doesn't seem to be set up correctly with 1" per unit though. I have a real problem believing there are only 370 inches form Berlin to Hamburg. Never actually been to Germany, but it doesn't sound quite right. You'll probably need to do some rescaling of that map if you are going to use it for any kinds of measurements.