The Northern Lands - Pete Fenlon style (First map, too)

Hello there, wanted to show you the first map I´ve made in CC3:

I´m not coming from an RPG background (although I love to read source books for several systems), but always had a strong interest in maps. This particular one will be made into a texture for a fantasy image I´m working on (a group of adventurers sitting in a tavern...) and I hope to present you a rendered 3D version of the map soon, and the final image (although OT) in due time.

Anyway, comments and advice are welcome, especially for future projects :)

Comments

• Great map for your first time. I like it. What symbol set did you use?
  • edited June 2008
    That is really neat. Are you a commercial artist by any chance?

>What symbol set did you use?

He used the Pete Fenlon style. You can find it here:

sub.profantasy.com/2008/january08.html
  • FarsightX3FarsightX3 Traveler
    edited June 2008
    awesome thank you. How do you find different styles? And how do you download this symbol set?
  • you all should check out maps of mahdran and tell me what ya think =p
  • Posted By: DavarisThat is really neat. Are you a commercial artist by any chance?
    Huh? I wonder why did you ask that... (and the answer is "no". I´m just a hobbyist) :) But earning money for what I like to do... that would be cool, hehe.

@ Farsight: I´ll look at your maps after returning from work ;)
  • edited June 2008
    >Huh? I wonder why did you ask that... (and the answer is "no".

Just out of interest. I thought it was pretty good is all, so I thought you might be one of those artist ppl. :)

>I´m just a hobbyist) :) But earning money for what I like to do... that would be cool, hehe.

Now that would be the life. :)

>awesome thank you. How do you find different styles? And how do you download this symbol set?

You get it when you subscribe to The Cartographer's Annual 2008.

He also used the heraldic shields from the same annual.

sub.profantasy.com/2008/march08.html
  • edited June 2008
    Ah, okay. Oh yeah, forgot to mention that I used the heraldic shields, too. Was a last minute decision after adding the borders and looking at the whole map.
    Anyway, here´s a little progress. I took the map into PS and dirtied it a bit up, then applied it to a suitable map-object:

• >Oh yeah, forgot to mention that I used the heraldic shields, too.

That was a good choice.

It looks even better on the 3D model. Good job!
  • Thanks, Davaris :)

Here´s another quick update. The central piece of the future image is done. All that´s left to do is setting up the rest of the tavern, additional guests and (the most time consuming) the proper lighting.

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Wow. That looks amazing. I especially like that you made an actual, detailed, map to put into the scene like that.
  • Thanks :) About the map... well, I think it will add to the overall atmosphere in the finished image. Honestly, I couldn´t live with a yellowish rectangle with some simple lines on it, which pretends to be a map. Even if you won´t be able to actually see a lot of details on the map, it´s clear that it´s an actual map :)
  • jaerdaphjaerdaph Traveler
    Wow, sl701, very nice work!
  • Wow - awesome indeed - cant wait to see the back wall of the tavern. Wht program do you use for that may I ask please?
  • Sure you may ask :)

For the set-up, I use Poser 7 (all renders so far were done in that program). Then I import everything into Vue 6 Pro Studio, where the materials, highlights and what not are tweaked and the final render is done (nowadays I do 99% of my renders in Vue, since I think it´s lighting is superior).
    For texturing stuff I use Photoshop CS 2.
  • FarsightX3FarsightX3 Traveler
    edited June 2008
    I am amazed sl701!!!!! What 3d program did you use? I am familiar with 3dsmax 8. I bet you used mudbox and/or vbrush. Looks good enough for a game. I'll have you do character models for my mmorpg one day friend =p
  • JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited June 2008
    I think you can imagine the conversation. The drunk trying to convince the bald guy how great he is.

And then the Dark Elf is saying to herself, 'maybe I should just knock both of them out and find a better group to team up with'.
  • @ Farsight: Actually, the persons were commercial models, which I have bought. Im terribly bad in modelling organic stuff, hehe. For my modelling projects I use Blender and Hexagon 2.0, but those projects are mostly Warhammer 40k or "generic" science fiction stuff :)

@ JimP: Actually, I was thinking along those lines when setting the scene up... lol. Looks like the image already works even though it´s still WiP :)
  • Sl701: the map looks great, on the 3D side, I don't use Vue so I can't comment on how to do it in that (I use lightwave) but at the moment the skin etc is looking very very plastic. I don't know if Vue supports sub-surface scattering, which would be an easy way of fixing it (add's some transluancey etc under the skin) what you might do instead though is work in veins etc along the skin textures in layers then if vue supports it a slight transperancy at the edges based on light.

The other thing would be to break up your specularity and gloss maps a bit to break up the 'shine' so that it's less uniform.. skin rarely has that type of gloss to it.

-Rob
  • @ Rob: Yep, I know. That´s why I go into Vue for final renders. I can control highlights and other effects on material zones much better there, than in Poser. Be assured they won´t shine like freshly oiled in the final image ;)
This discussion has been closed.