First ever CD3 Map

Sorry to introduce myself with such a niaive map by all comparisons, but having just recently just purchased CC3 and CD3 (and the rest as soon as my lovely wife will put up with less time together) I thought of posting my first attempt at a small township. It is by no means complete. I have follwowed Gandwalfs excellent tutorial and adapted the methods partly for my requirements.

Some things look wrong, but this is my first map, and I have the artistic ability of a snail with colour blindness and, etc.

I know that some of the "districts" are badly proportioned, and am working to fix that.

So far, what does this audience think? Help and criticism are most welcome.

Kind regards,

Alp

Comments

• RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    You're off to a good start there, it looks reasonable and interesting - something like a rural manor/village. Looking forward to seeing the completed map.
  • MedioMedio Surveyor
    Nice starting! Just keep on being criticist on yourself, keep learning about the program´s features, and check some info in internet (i see you got one of the best tutorials out there, Gandarf´s, i also used it and it´s wonderful), and you´ll be creating sooner than you believe pure artist maps.
  • alpalp
    edited July 2010
    Thank you for your kind words and encouragement!

Ok, another day of progress. I ave attatched the newer version of the map I was working on, to the original post.

Again, criticism, advise and general feedback are most welcome.

Let me know what you think

Alp
  • bearclawbearclaw Traveler
    I really like the look of the trees tight around the fields like that. Excellent start to a first map!
  • It's looking really good!

I would like to see some textures instead of solid colors though (farmlands, etc). I think it would give it more depth. Also, you have a river that splits off, forms a lake on one branch, and then rejoins later on. Rivers tend not to split like that. One branch or the other would become dominant and the other would dry up.

The tree placement looks great. I love how you have them close in around the fields.

The house in the upper right shows up as a red X in a white box. Presumably, that means that I am missing that symbol on my install. Not sure why as I have CD3 and patch 8 installed.
  • MedioMedio Surveyor
    It happens the same here Old Guy. I guess he´s using a different house symbols that neither of us own ;).
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Actually, according to the file name, it is a standard CD3 symbol (Wooden 25 from CD3 style A). But for some reason, he is using it from a nonstandard location, instead of from the CD3 symbol catalog.
    (Use the symbol manager combined with the LIST command to learn this)
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Looks like the CD3 symbols where also installed as "Bitmap Art Only" and this symbol was used from that location. Since that install has no fixed location (and most of us wouldn't install it anyway), we can't see the symbol.
  • Posted By: Old GuyIt's looking really good!

I would like to see some textures instead of solid colors though (farmlands, etc). I think it would give it more depth. Also, you have a river that splits off, forms a lake on one branch, and then rejoins later on. Rivers tend not to split like that. One branch or the other would become dominant and the other would dry up.
    The intention of the odd split was a man-made channel to a water mill, with associate millpond. It was never intended as a natural feature. From what I have seen on Discovery and other such programmes (ie: Industrial Revelations) this was a fairly common practice, with the result of the water slowing after passing the wheel thus creating an area of slack water leading to a mill pond.

I struggled to find a watermill symbol and must have picked one that looked roughly correct with the intention of finding a "wheel" that I could set in a appropriate position. This is problably why you can't see it - I will delete it and replace it with a standard symbol.

The intention of this map was to show a town hewn from a great forrest and at the edge of the 'civilised' world. I would love to use textures more to define the fields but I am still new to this. Are textures inserted as bitmap fills (as I have done) or is their some other method? I was even thinking of creating a sheet to sit over (below) the fields to indicate plough tracks in the field using a Brush Pattern Fill.

The trees and bushes surrounding the fields are trying to emulate a hedge row / boccage type of environment.

Like always advise and comments will help me finish this - and give me more experience. I am using this as a learning experience and thus cramming in a hodge podge of different elements and things to see what works and doesn't (for me).

Alp
  • 17 days later
  • alpalp
    edited July 2010
    Ok, back from holiday and some more progress. I must say that I am really enjoying doing this and teaching myself a little bit in the process.

There are still a few areas that I want to touch up or complete, but so far so good.

I posted the image in JPG form so it will be a bit grainy - but could also post in FCW, PNG etc, if anyone wants.

As always coments and suggestions are most welcome.

Alp
  • Wow! I really love this map. It must have taken quite a while to place all of the trees. I honestly think this is my favorite city map so far.
  • Really nice.......................