What would you all like to see ...

Hello Everyone,

I've been away for a while but I'm back for now ... :-) ... and I've been looking at my unfinished projects and wondering which one I should delve back into.

Then I thought ... Hey why not ask the group ... if I ever finish one, they are the people that will use it, so here I am.

Some ov you may not know but I (sometimes) program add-ons to CC2. I'm also the author of the CC2 XP tutorials.

So, here is what I *Could* work on:

1 - Random Village - I've found some of my code (and some of Joe Slaytons' code). The very alpha code is based on affinity maps so once you get a list of all the buildings and their types generated, it then places them one at a time where they (want) to go based on their "Affinity" with already placed buildings.

2 - WikiNotes - This Alpha program is a hyperlinked text editor / viewer. Imagine a stand alone version of wikipedia linked to your maps. Click on a city and the Wiki comes up with info on that city but includes hyperlinks to the country, rulers etc.

3 - Fantasy Calendar - Want a customizable calendar that you can assign to you maps?

4 - More Tutorials - Where I left off, we were starting to build a more in depth Info control. We could start to add better output etc.

5 - Any other ideas?

L. Lee Saunders

Comments

• Yes, oh yes!

Welcome back.

I'm torn: #2 (WikiNotes) would be incredibly useful as an organizer. But #1 still holds a place in my heart. It would be really sexy if CC could generate villages.

I guess if I only had one vote, I'd have to be practical and vote for the WikiThingie. I'd use it a lot more.

Steve
  • saunderlsaunderl Traveler
    edited June 2010
    Hey Steve!

Thanks, it is good to be back. I feel like I've had a nice long vacation and ready to return to work.

< I'm torn: #2 (WikiNotes) would be incredibly useful as an organizer. But #1 still holds a place in my heart. It would be really sexy if CC could generate villages. >

I thought the same thing! WikiNotes is so much further along ... but random villages would be so much funner to work on ;-)

< I guess if I only had one vote, I'd have to be practical and vote for the WikiThingie. I'd use it a lot more. >

Yep, this was the source code that I pulled up last night and looked at. Like I said above, WikiNotes is much further along. Much further along though is a double edged sword: On one hand ... much less to do, on the other hand ... a lot more to figure out what I did in the past and how it works before I can start coding ...

Lee
  • Oh wow! WikiNotes would be wonderful!!! To be ably to finally get my notes organized and tie them to my maps? The thought makes me quiver with anticipation.

Welcome back saunderl!
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    I would really like #2 (Preferably with the source code for it) #4 would also be nice.

And welcome back, good to see you here again.
    OK, it seems WikiNotes should be finished first.

Anyone that wishes to see the beta in action can go to our yahoo groups cc2-tool-l list and look in the files section. The file is aptly named WikiNotes.zip

This was written in C# 3.5 and the zip file contains all the source code thus far. So you will need the current version of the .Net Framework to run it. The EXE is in the WikiNotes -> bin -> debug directory.

Currently this is a standalone application. Intergrating with CC2/3 is the "easy" part. :-)

If you join the cc2-tool-l group, you can read the old message thread about this program and what has thus far been suggested for functionality.

Lee
  • WikiNotes. It would certainly help me with my game world.
  • 8 days later
  • pvernonpvernon Betatester 🖼️ 34 images Traveler
    I fear that I would go against the group, I like #1 and #4.
  • bearclawbearclaw Traveler
    #2 (wikinotes)
    then #1 (village creator) :)
    Well, having dived back into the XP pool, I think that I amy going to HAVE TO update and expand the Tutorials. I've already moved a copy of them over to my personal website in a subdomain.

http://cc3.leesaunders.net

Wow, nobody is interested in a Fantasy Calendar? hmmm.

How about something really simple like a Built-in Dice Roller or a Built-in Calculator?

I was just looking at the "New Features in CC3. What would you like to see?" and I was thinking that maybe I could tackle some of the easier requests there.

Now that I've posted a Beta of the WikiNotes, I'm ready to start spreading my focus around a bit.
  • Actually, the calendar would be my number 2 priority right after the WikiNotes since my own fantasy campaign world has a 488 1/5 days solar cycle, two moons and several cultures with different calendar systems.

I hope to find the time to test WikiNotes somewhen next week.
  • I came up with, years ago, a modified version of the calendar used by Tolkein in his LotR books.

Probably needs to be changed around, as my game world has 2 moons as well.
  • Simon RogersSimon Rogers Administrator, ProFantasy Traveler
    I'd like to see text around a curve with more options eg reverse direction and dynamic cursor) and improved escarpment (again, dynamic cursor)