Trying to Find Creator of some Great Textures

I have a set of great textures that I'm using for my maps. I'm working on my website and want to gve credit but unfortunately I didn't record where I got these. There are three archives, 200x200,500x500, and 2000x2000.

The 200x200 has 81 textures in it, from agricultural to blight, to different forests, to land to liche_king to marsh, plas-tok, and rock(s).
The 500x500 archive has 61 textures, a subset, plus grass and shrubbery,
The 2000x2000 archive has 31 textures

They are all excellent. If this doesn't jog someone's memory, I'll post a sample or two.

Thanks!
Steve

Comments

• Can't help you with a source, but if you discover who it was please list a link if they still have them available for download. They sound wonderful.
  • JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited June 2016
    Ah, I know. I host those files.

Natalya Faden's files

Scroll down the page, I also link to the site she used to create them.

edit: corrected link to my new site on June 1, 2016.
  • Jim Thanks. I thought I got them from your site, but I couldn't find the page.

Thanks again!

Steve
  • Yeah, they are hard to find. I just looked at my menus.

So I added a link on the second row of my site navigation menu 'hosted files, bitmaps, etc' leads to the page that links to all files I host. This includes bitmap fills.
  • MedioMedio Surveyor
    The forest idea is a great one, i´m trying to use it. So far, it has worked at CC3 to me much better as a symbol, deleting most of it using PSD, than as a texture. It appears way too small and you cannot get the sharpness and the brilliance that Oljanus has, but specially the size. I cannot really shape it to the size i want so it can be clear.

I´m using a 3200x2400 map (a world map, that is) and the forests texture look way too small if i choose the "file to fill", or way too big if i choose the "strech to fill" option. Can anyone know what i can do for the texture look bigger than the size showed? Check that i´m using all the versions, the 200x200, 500x500 and 2000x2000 but all them give me the same problem. Thanks in advance, as always.
  • Medio, I haven't used these, but have you tried changing the scale of the fills in the Fill Style Properties box?
  • MedioMedio Surveyor
    I guess this works for any kind of textures - the only thing is that scale matters alot in those.

I trid it, it works but still the result is way worse than if i use the texture as symbols. Thanks though, perhaps with more trials i will get a better result.
  • MedioMedio Surveyor
    edited June 2010
    I´m using the Oljanus map as a comparative. I´m currently working on a map based on Fantasy Worlds Annual style, but i don´t like the forest there so i plan to use these great forests you´re using. The thing is, i can´t really emulate the sharpness of Oljanus map no matter which scale i use. If i use big scales, the forests totally lose their sharpness. If i use small scales, if i zoom in the forests are perfectly seen but at the normal zoom, it´s just too small and you cannot appreciate well the forest shape.

I´m putting here two images of the map, first one has a scale of 600x600, the second one a scale of 200x200.
    (map has no effects activated, i just created several forest areas, with different sizes, for showing the problem)

http://img541.imageshack.us/img541/8546/test1li.jpg

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/1780/test2bx.jpg
  • Try a scale percentage in the bitmap fill selection menu.
  • Okay, there is no percentage thing in there. I worked on an overland map this evening.

When you select the bitmap fill, look at the Scaled line height and width. There are some numbers in areas beside width and height.

Change the number to the left of the decimal. I changed it form 9.9 to 6.9 and got a more detailed sand and dune bitmap fill. At 9.9 I got more of a sheet of sandpaper look that didn't show detail.

Sorry, I am on antibiotics for a sinus infection. Not just tired this time.
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    There are two things to consider here:

1. The scale of the bitmap fill

In the Fill Style dialog, on the Bitmap Files tab, the width and height fields indicate to what size (in map units) the bitmap fill will be scaled. You can leave it unscaled, which means the fill will always use his own pixel resolution matched to the screen - this looks best on screen, but also means the scale will vary depending on your zoom level. That's not good for exports and having a reliable idea how the finished map will look.

You should set this values so that the forest fill matches your map best. Don't worry about the sharpness of the fill at this point - we'll cover that in the next step.

2. The fill resolution chosen by CC3

To speed up redraw and display times, CC3 uses different resolutions of bitmaps at different zoom levels. If you are zoomed out very far, it's quicker to use a low-resolution version of the bitmap. If you are introducing a new bitmap fill into a map and it has lower resolution versions, they might not fit CC3's selection scheme here, or you can get confused by CC3 choosing different versions. For exporting or printing the map, CC3 will always choose the best resolution.

To check that you're getting the correct resolution when exporting, or to always see it on screen, click the Display Speed Setting button on the left toolbar. Set a "Fixed Bitmap Quality" at "Very High" and CC3 will always use the best resolution available.

Hope that helps.
  • MedioMedio Surveyor
    edited June 2010
    Thanks both Jim and Ralf, i will try to do it, and will tell you about how ended. Get better Jim!
  • MedioMedio Surveyor
    Ralf: already using Fixed Bitmap Quality at Very High. There is no change on that. I will have to check if this improves when i export, but right now, as i tested, the quality didn´t improve much.

Jim: i´m not sure which numbers you talk about. Are you talking about Scaled Width and Height? If so, they start on 1.0 / 1.0, i already toyed a bit with them, that´s actually the difference about the two maps i posted. But still didn´t get any good result. I´m starting to get pessimist and planning to abandon the idea of such forests. But thanks alot for the time and your patience. Learning is always worthy.
  • Yes, the Scaled Width and height.

The template I created is for surface maps of 185 miles by 234 miles. The numbers show as 9.9900.

I changed the sand and dunes bitmap fil to 6.99 and it resolved into sand with dunes. Instead of what looks like very rough sandpaper. I have 'Tile to Fill' set. The pngs I use for my bitmap fills aren't part of a set of different resolutions.
  • MedioMedio Surveyor
    edited June 2010
    Humm. I also have "tile to fill" set.

The "scaled" box is unchecked, and values shown are 1.0 and 1.0. If i check the box, the scale doesn´t change, keeps values on 1.0 and 1.0, and it´s really small, so i have to put at least a 200.0 and 200.0 for having a fine resolution; if i add more resolution, let´s say 300.0 and 300.0, it "closes" the bitmap, showing it "bigger" but losing sharpness. That was what i was doing before.

My map is on a 3000x2400 scale, by the way.
  • I had to manually change the numbers in those two boxes.
  • MedioMedio Surveyor
    Yeah, i did it aswell. it just doesn´t work the way i want, the image gets either too blurring or just too small. The sad thing is that, once i zoom into a zone, it has exactly the look i wanted to get. I cannot get such look in the total map though. Bummer. I think i´ll go with some variation of the standard Wantasy Worlds forests. Thanks though Jim for your time.
  • MedioMedio Surveyor
    edited June 2010
    Humm. I found a map that uses a style i could live with. Seems that deciduous forest out there gets a very sharp look while still is similar to the deciduous forest of the Fantasy Worlds pack. Does anyone know who did it, or what kind of forest texture is?
  • MedioMedio Surveyor
    I even found the Etrakiska världen page (http://etrakien.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default), just can´t find any way of contact the autor. Let´s hope anyone knows swedish so he can help me ;).
  • Medio, try looking here at the Cartographer's Guild. You must be a member and signed in to see the textures.

Cartographer's Guild Textures
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Exactly this style is included in the Cartographer's Annual 2009. The original author is Pär Lindström.
  • MedioMedio Surveyor
    edited June 2010
    Ralf: yes, indeed, it´s exactly the style i own and i´m using as a base for it. It´s just that the forest texture is different from the texture that the deciduous style the Annual gives (the trees pic are different, although it look similar). Thi woods style is sharper and the trees are better drawn.

Thanks Shessar, will check there. I´m a member so shouldn´t be any problem. EDIT: didn´t find what i was looking for, but i found several interesting things. Thanks a lot.

EDIT: nevermind. I took the map, opened PS, cut the biggest part i could from the forest, and built my own forest texture :D let´s see how it goes ...
  • MedioMedio Surveyor
    Ok, after making the new texture and using it, i must say that, even if doesn´t have the quality of the former map, at least it pleases me more than the Wantasy Worlds deciduous forest one. I really love that CC3 was so easily configurable and uses any kind of picture.
  • MedioMedio Surveyor
    Well, my (hopefully) last update. Searching in Cartographer guild forum, i found someone posting some interesting forest textures. They had the sharpness i wanted, but they were too "realistic". Using PS and playing with tone and saturation, i took the forest to a way similar to the Annual style. Still too bright for my taste, i used Transparency effect - i know i could have used Adjust Hue/saturation effect, but Transparency gives the texture more the aspect and look of the map behind it- and then bam, perfect forest for my map.

I include the forest texture i got, for anyone wanting to use it. I also got a darker forest, and a pines one that i can show if anyone is interested.

Thanks to all you that helped me here, namely Ralf Shessar and Jim. I´m glad i bought this product and i´m starting doing maps, with so helpful people is always a pleasure. Thanks again.