Kobold Hall (DMG map; cutout style w/ lighting)

Kobold Hall

This is a map I've been working on for use in a VTT (it's the map from the 4E DMG, I scanned the one in the book but I can't get it to fit a 50 px/sq grid!). The walls are done in a cut-out style, which I was very thrilled to figure out. Short version:

1. Draw all your floors.
2. Trace a closed poly around all your combined floors (on the WALLS layer); I recommend copying it to a hidden TEMP layer as a backup too.
3. Put another closed poly over your whole map (WALLS layer)
4. Multipoly these together (make sure your on the WALLS sheet/layer, and you have the fill style and such you want selected already).

Note that Wall Shadow, Point of Light does not like filled polys very much, so if you want block light at their edges, you need to make a STOPLIGHT sheet/layer (beneath WALLS). You can then copy your TEMP tracing of the floors to this sheet/layer and change it to hollow. This sheet will stop the light correctly.

Comments

• Henrie61Henrie61 Traveler
    Like the cut out effect you have achieved.

But for me something is missing. The rooms just look to clean for me.

The light effects on the other hand are done very well.
  • That's to be expected (the cleanliness) as this is ultimately for a VTT--at 50 px/sq resolution too much detail is promptly lost on FG2. That said, since posting that map I've still fleshed it out some, dropped a transparent texture over the floor to roughen it up a bit, and added a lot more symbols. I had a grid with a inverted bevel effect (looked chisled), but when exported to 50 px/sq it doesn't survive the transition. I'm happy with the lighting effects, I've gotten very comfortable with them, actually.

Lighting Test Map
  • 7 days later
  • edited June 2010
    You can use any px/sq size you like with FG2. I used to use 100 px/sq, but found that 95% of the time our map window is roughly 700x700 on the screen, and about 14 squares are showing at the zoom level we're using. That's 50 px/sq so I stopped using higher resolution. But if you want to use 100, or even 200, feel free. Just understand that unless you cover most of the screen with the map window (need room for the combat tracker, character sheet, effects/modifiers windows, etc) it's unlikely that resolution is going to really shine through. :) Otherwise to be zoomed close enough to appreciate the higher resolution, you probably aren't showing enough squares to show a single battle area.