Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorDavaris
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2008 edited

The banner at the top of the Cartographer's Annual 2008

sub.profantasy.com/2008/index.html

has a 3D line drawing of a city that looks really cool. Can anyone tell me is that set in the 2008 Annual or is it somewhere else?
    • CommentAuthorShadoWWW
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2008

It is a city map in John Speed Style Pack from Fabruary CA '07

BTW There has already been a forum about CA
    • CommentAuthorDavaris
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2008

Thanks ShadoWWW. :)
    • CommentAuthorShadoWWW
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2008

Thank you for the new september CA. The BW overland style is absolutely brilliant! Big thank you again.
    • CommentAuthorShadoWWW
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2008 edited

Here is my new map (still working on details), I used the new style pack .
    Here is full version of the map:
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2008

Looking good.

Shows that you don't need to have colour to make a good map.
    • CommentAuthorShadoWWW
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2008

I've got a question about the new August symbol style: I draw a small map in the style, just 170 x 110 miles. If I draw a swamp, there are barely 2 symbols in the swamp, and I just can't draw it in a smaller scale, to it could seemed like on 1000 x 800 miles map. Do you have any tip? (And sorry for my English :))
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2008 edited

Since this is a hatch style, I don't think there is any way to simply change the scale of the fill.
    This means that there are basically two options:
    1. Draw the swamp way bigger than it is supposed to be, then use the SCALE command to change the size of the entire swamp afterwards. This will also change the scale of the fill.

2. Create a smaller version of the Hatch style.
    To do this:
    • open the "CA20 Swamp.fcw" file (Found in the "Hatch Styles" directory inside the main CC3 directory
    • Rescale the entire drawing, save under a new name, like "CA20 Swamp, Small", but in the "Hatch Styles" directory
    • Go back to your map, click on the Default Terrain button to bring up the drawing tools, click Advanced, Select "Terrain default, Swamp" from the list, click New, give it a new name, like "Terrain Default, Swamp Small", Hit Outline, hit Properties, then change the Hatch style to the new style we made "CA20 Swamp, Small", click Ok to you get rid of all dialog boxes and return to your map.
    • When clicking on the "Default Terrain" button, you should now see the new draw tool, "Terrain Default, Swamp Small".
    • If you didn't get the scale as you wanted, you can open up the fcw file from the "Hatch Styles" directory again, and change the scale. You do not need to define the drawing tool again as long as you save over the old file.
    • CommentAuthorShadoWWW
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2008

Any news about the upcoming November issue?
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalf
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2008

The November issue is about the "Map Border" with its functions in a wizard template, examples of how to create your own borders, compass roses, scale bars, etc.
    The December issue will be about relief shading for mountains.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalf
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2008

Previews for both the November and December issue of the Annual 2008 are up.
    I'm very excited for December. I'm learning how to make my own custom image Google Maps and December issue might be what I need for the Satellite views!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

The December issue seems to be promising indeed. Can't wait to see the result.
    • CommentAuthorPatrakis

December is a dream come true!

Pat
    • CommentAuthorjasales
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2008

Is this shaded relieve done with just CC3 and the annual? OMG that looks useful!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

No. The preview images were not made with CC3. Hopefully, the CC3 result should be quite similar.
    • CommentAuthorjaerdaph

Just an FYI Ralf said the following about the examples on the December '08 Annual page on the CC2 users group mailing list:
    Re: [cc2-l] Annual 2008 Ahem... a caveat: This are non-CC3 examples for December. But I'm striving to recreate the look as faithfully as possible. ;) Ciao, Ralf
    So while the examples of the preview page aren't done in CC3, I'm sure that what ever Ralf comes up with will be amazing. :)