Ancoria and Tirgan kingdoms

Ok, this is a map i made this week. It´s about two kingdoms in my world, Ancoria and Tirgan. For creating the map i used the B&W style but wanted to get a bit more of map-look, so i added some Photoshop effects like texturize and blending with a parchment texture.

I´m not yet satisfied and i bought the Annual 2007. But i´m realizing it will be easier to use Photoshop (a newbie on it in anyways) for switching the white background and change it for the parchment background, than using CC3.

Tips and suggestions welcomed.

Comments

• MedioMedio Surveyor
    edited May 2010
    Another version of the map, with some of the original color still showing, just a bit faded. Unfortunatly the map here shown looks worse as it´s harder to appreciate the textures, but i can testify they exist heh.
  • They're both good but the first (top) is really fantastic.
  • MedioMedio Surveyor
    I added some few more details and a new texture, i hope you enjoy it. Still really beginning on mapmaking so i hope you can help with tips and so.
  • edited May 2010
    I like the first one too. I must say, I'm impressed!
  • Yeah, the first one is really good looking!. Don't really like the crumpled paper look in the last post.
  • jaerdaphjaerdaph Traveler
    Very impressive work, Medio!
  • Gratz man!
    Looks really cool!!!
    Nice job!
  • MedioMedio Surveyor
    Thanks everyone for the kind words. Gandwarf,i agree, that crumpled paper didn´t get a good looking, it had to be ... well, different. I will work on it when i got more time available. By the way, i used your style for cities, and it´s truly awesome, and the tutorial was what made me make maps again, after many years. My campaign players are thanking it aswell :D

I promise to put here next maps, hoping to make them better and with more details, i´m still learning the ropes.
  • Henrie61Henrie61 Traveler
    Great maps.
    Like the first one the best although I like the dark red coloring on the text in the 2nd map.
  • 23 days later
  • Medio please help me!
    I need to create a map just like that, i mean black and white and so, just like yours.
    Would you please give me some tips?
    For start, how i create a black and white map?
    The only program i own is the CC3, is what you use to make this map?
    Hope you can help me, thanks alot!

And... really nice job man, impressive!!!
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Posted By: Olivete
    For start, how i create a black and white map?
    The only program i own is the CC3, is what you use to make this map?
    Make sure you've installed the latest update to CC3 bringing it up to version 3.40. The look for the file "CC3_Mapping_Guide.pdf" in the documentation folder. It contains a walkthrough of creating such a black and white map.

Hope that helps.
  • MedioMedio Surveyor
    Well, it seems Ralf answered perfectly so i cannot add much. The basic map is mainly a black and white classical CC3 map. As it was my first serious CC3 one, now i´m working on something a bit more complex, like using such map in a parchment background and stuff, plus adding more symbols to make it look more like a "real" map. But right now i´m doing my world´s map with Annual 2009 (Fantasy Worlds).

Tips? well, read first some guides. That helps alot. There are some very good ones for beginners as us, like the Gandarf ones for cities, which are really splendid. Then, just use imagination, try to find some real life examples of what you want, and then get some inspiration. CC3 makes you work a bit slow at the beginning, but once you get used to it, you can speed things alot. Also, play with effects. That´s the hardest part, but also the most satisfying.

My personal tip is: try to fit the best scale for the map. Check what kind of size the map will have, and scale the symbols accordingly. I tended to use CTRL for sizing to the size i liked, then used such size for all the symbols except the ones i wanted to look bigger for some kind of reason - like perspective or just to break monotony.

Spend some hours making tries instead of wanting to make the map perfect at the first try. Spend also some time searching for the right symbols and textures if you plan to do them.

I added some Photoshop effects but they´re not really needed, i used them because i´m also learning to use Photoshop a bit.

Glad you enjoyed it.
  • 8 years later
  • Another great map I just had to bring back up to the notice of 2018
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Did you know you can blend any parchment you like on any CC3 map these days by using the Blend Mode set to multiply, and placing the sheet with the parchment image over the top of the rest of the map.

I am unsure if the necessary Sheet effects were available back in 2010, but you can do all of that in CC3 these days.
  • MedioMedio Surveyor
    Wow, i didn´t remeber about these maps hehe.

Sue: yeah, indeed. When i got time i will test on doing it, and i´m sure it will improve the maps alot.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    edited December 2018
    You can use Add as well - and Overlay. it depends on which gives you the best effect. Just add a new sheet over the top of everything else, import a parchment image as a fill (even though it may not be seamless), scale it so that it fits the map (important with non-seamless parchments), draw a map sized rectangle of the fill on that new sheet, then add the blend mode effect.

It can give you a scare if the map isn't set to open with effects switched on next time you open it. I automatically set all my maps to open with effects on.
  • MedioMedio Surveyor
    When i have time i will check if i still have the FCW file (which i suppose i do) and how it will translates into CC3+.

And yeah, my maps usually don´t open with effects on. Maybe i should change that considering how fast is CC3+ compared with CC3.