Adding Navigation Lines - Newbie Question

Hello, I just finished making my first map with CC3 using the CC2 Pro guide, and I can't figure out how to insert
navigation lines to the map. I've tried going to Draw -> Insert File but can't find it.

Thanks,
Patrick

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    I don't think ProFantasy included this part in CC3. I don't know if this is an oversight or a deliberate choice however, or if they just hid it very well.

Anyway, If you install CC2 you should get the correct file, but you may need to change it's sheet after importing it. (CC2 should be downloadable from your registration page I believe). Maybe Ralf or Simon can provide you with the correct file directly too, without resorting to installing CC2. I got the file, but I can't post it without PF approval.
  • Thanks! I requested the file from tech support, and Linda was kind enough to email a template that included nav. lines.

Do I copy them to the clip board now? I've tried, but when I try to paste, it says the clipboard is empty.

Thanks again,
    Patrick
  • jaerdaphjaerdaph Traveler
    edited May 2008
    Posted By: patrickbenfieldDo I copy them to the clip board now? I've tried, but when I try to paste, it says the clipboard is empty.
    Hi Patrick,

The default copy command is Copy in Drawing, so you can't copy something from one drawing to another with that command (that's why the clipboard is empty). What you need to do is *right* click on the copy button and you will get a pull down list of copy commands. Select Copy to Clipboard from that list and use that instead to get the nav lines from one map file to another.

Right clicking on many of the CC3 buttons brings up more command options.

Hope that helps,

jaerdaph
  • No luck with right clicking either! Thanks for the help though. Here's what I do:

- File ->Open the template with nav. lines
    - Right Click on the copy button
    - Select Copy to Clipboard
    - Left Click on the center point of a group of nav. line (I've also tried dragging/creating a box to select)
    - File ->Open the other map I'm currently practicing/learning with
    - Right Click on Copy Button
    - Select Paste
    - Nothing on Clipboard Message. :(

Thanks again to all who have helped!
  • jaerdaphjaerdaph Traveler
    Weird. Check to see if the layer the nav lines are on in the original drawing is frozen. If it's frozen, uncheck the box and then try to Copy to Clipboard.
  • OK, so I opened the nav template map:

Tools -> Options ->Global Layer Settings and Selected Show All and Thaw, then Apply.

Then reselected, copied to clipboard. Still nothing in the clipboard when pasting. Weird indeed!

Other random things I've tried:

- resaving the template file (.FCT) to a regular map file (.FCW) and then tried again...
    - Edit -> Copy -> Paste
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Was the file you got from Linda the "Navigation Lines (200 mile diameter).FCW" file? If it was, you don't have to go through the clipboard process, just use the insert file procedure from the tutorial.
    If it was another file which contained any other elements besides the navigation lines, you can always edit that file, remove everything but one set of navigation lines, save it, and then use the insert file procedure.

As for the clipboard problems:
    1. Are you using the newest version of CC3. Check Help->About. If the CC3 version is less than 3.20, get the latest patch
    2. After performing a clipboard copy, can you past the content back into the same drawing you copied it from (Make sure you still use clipboard copy, and not copy in drawing) [The copy command in the Edit menu, or Ctrl+C does perform a clipboard copy as expected]
    3. When selecting elements to copy, do the status bar show that anything at all is selected? It should list the number of elements selected.
    4. After selecting the elements to copy, did you remember to right click in the drawing and selecting "Do It" [Or hit D on the keyboard], and then select the origin point for the copy. If you didn't, the copy procedure was never properly completed, and would explain why the clibpoard was empty.