Fenlon Maps: Drawing Swamps - Missing Symbols/Fill Style/Draw tool?

One of the example maps included with the January 2008 annual has several swamps. I can't find a matching drawing tool, symbol fill style or even the symbol to create these. Does anyone know where this lives?

Thanks!

Comments

• I pick a color fill or bitmap fill that looks like the swamp I want to draw.

I draw a polygon and maybe fractalize it.

The overland symbols contain, all the way at the bottom, in the vegetation symbols, some swamp trees. I use those.
  • jaerdaphjaerdaph Traveler
    edited May 2008
    Thanks for your suggestion, Jim. :)

What I'm looking for is a symbol that looks like it was created specifically for the Fenlon style pack (and not the default overland swamp fill) in the January 2008 annual. I can't find it in the included symbols, but it appears in the example FCW file that came with the annual.

Here's an image from the Profantasy Annual gallery that shows it in use:

• JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited May 2008
    Ah.

On the symbol catalog, when you load that map, have you clicked o nthe left hand column, to see if they show there ?

From what I see on the map there, it looks like a modificaiton of the swamp symbol fill using varicolor.

edit:

I checked my CC3/fill symbols/vegetation vari,fsc and I see something similar to it. Not exactly though.
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Haha! ... Ahem, excuse me. Little tricks of the trade: That's not actually a symbol or symbol fill. As you might know, symbol fills cannot have solid fill styles included, but this swamp thing has.

Instead it is a hatch style. Take a look at CC3/Hatch Styles/CA13_Swamp.FCW and you'll find it. If you check the details of the drawing "Terrain Default, Swamp", you can see that the Outline uses this hatch style.

You can create your own hatch styles. Check the "hatch styles" entry in the help files.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    I noticed the Hatch Style setting on the outline entity myself, but you seem to have forgotten to include this particular hatch style Ralf. I don't have any CA13_* hatch styles at all actually.
    This causes the swamp draw tool you made to make a very plain boring polygon when used.
    Ouch.... indeed. Here it is (it was the only hatch style for the Pete Fenlon style). I've also remedied it in the January download.
  • jaerdaphjaerdaph Traveler
    Ah - thank you, Ralf!

Off now to learn more about hatch styles, which I don't think I've ever really used...
    Just a note of warning: Hatch styles can quickly create a lot of entities - overloading your map and computer. Be careful when drawing with them and start with small areas.