Missing Symbols after Installing CD3

OK I have just gotten CC3. It seemed to work fine under Windows 7. I ran the update, then installed the City Designer 3 add-on, then ran the update again per the Vista instructions. Here's what happens: after installing CD 3, something happens to my symbols--specifically anything under the Map Menu category (City Menu stuff seems fine). For example, if I click on Minerals/Mountains, I get a pop up window which is blank (I am including an attachment). Everything was fine before I installed CD3.

I am running Windows 7, and I have installed to c:\CC3. I've tried searching the forum for a solution but have not found anything relevant. Anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Which map template are you using? If you started a map based on a city designer template, the overland symbol won't shop up this way. Try to start a new map with the overland symbols and see whether you get the map catalogs there.

If you want to use overland symbols in a city map, you need to load the catalog manually through the "open file" dialog above the catalog window.

Hope that helps. Ralf
  • It doesn't seem to matter how I open up a new map, even if I choose (for example) Overland Map. I still get that dialog window.
  • I have exactly the same problem! And for me too it appeared after the installation of the add-ons (I don't know which one exactly because I installed all of them at once). No matter if you pick a template, choose settings or wathever, the symbol catalog remains empty.
    Not a big deal, I load the catalog manually, but it was a really nice feature ;-).

BTW, I'm running CC3 patch 8 with CD3, DD3 and some other addons on Win XP pro.
    I have to point out that in my previous installation (based on patch 7) I did not have such a problem...
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Have you tried to re-run Patch 8, making sure to use the "Run as Admin" option" (yes, on Windows 7 too)?
  • edited January 2010
    Just tried and... it did the trick :-D

Thanks Ralf.

Just another question about that... if I open a new map with, as example, Sarah Wroot style, then load a different map and a different catalog, clicking on the quick catalog buttons revert the selection to the Sarah style. It that the correct behaviour? (P.S. sorry for my bad english ;-) just tell me if you cannot understand my question)
  • Posted By: RalfHave you tried to re-run Patch 8, making sure to use the "Run as Admin" option" (yes, on Windows 7 too)?
    My first impulse was "already did that; didn't help" but ran it again anyway. Funny thing I noticed--and here were the steps I took after downloading everything:

1. Ran CC3 setup (as Admin) and installed to C:\cc3
    2. Ran patch 8 as Admin (it gave me a dialog box asking if I wanted to run the app when it was done installing)
    3. Installed CD3 add-on as Admin
    4. Ran patch 8 as Admin again (and this time it did not give me the same dialog box as I got the first time I ran the update)

[It was at this point that I noticed the problems I was asking about, and posted here]

5. Re-ran the patch 8 as suggested (again as Admin)--this time around, I did get the dialog box asking if I wanted to run the app.

So it looks like technically, I ended up having to run the patch twice at the end there. For whatever reason, I guess the first time, it didn't really "take." Anyway it seems to be working fine now. Thanks for your help Ralf!