Resolution of exported DD3 map

Good evening ProFantasy Community,

since yesterday I am a proud owner of both CC3 and DD3, and I've spent the last days experimenting with both tools. After many hours of clicking and tweaking with many functions in DD3, I wanted to export my map as a JPEG to use in the VTT-tool MapTools. However, I ran into a resolution problem. By that I mean that the map turns very pixel-ish when I zoom in too far, and is thus of no use to me in MapTools. How can I retain the same amount of detail I have in DD3 in an exported JPEG map?

Thanks in advance,
Muffle

Comments

• Jpg is lossy, try png instead.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Posted By: MuffleHow can I retain the same amount of detail I have in DD3 in an exported JPEG map?
    The short answer, you can't. CC3 is based on vectors, which can ba scaled indefinately without loosing detail, and multiple-resolution raster art. To export the file at the same resolution as the best quality raster art would cause the export to be enormous in filesize.
    What you need to do is to export it at a resolution that feels comfortable for you, depending on the amount of zoom you are really going to need. You can change the resolution for the exported image by hitting the "option" button in the save as dialog AFTER selecting an image filetype to export to. Experiment to find a size that allows you the zoom that you need, and is a file size you can handle. But remember a raster image (bmp, jpg, gif, png, tif, etc...) will always be limited. There is no way of making "infinite zoom" possible. That only works with vector art (like CC3's native format, which other software don't support)
  • edited January 2010
    When I create dungeon maps for VTT I use png as JimP mentioned usually with a resolution of 50pixels per 5 feet, though you may want to go higher if you have lot of detail.

If file size is a problem then PNG-8 can be a good option.
  • Thanks for the replies!

Changing the resolution and saving the map in PNG helped alot. Seems I just overestimated the capabilities of raster images ;) Still, the map looks good enough now for use in VTT, and it's ready to go.

Thanks again! =D