New year, new game world

I needed a new world for my RPG games and after some struggles on styles and land shape, came up with this continent of Jiralis.
Thanks to effects, all the entities are either hollow or plain solid fill.
Hope you like it.
Happy new year to all PF staff and users !

Comments

• edited January 2010
    Here are some full resolution excerpts
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Real nice. I love how the grainy background combined with the transparent fills make the map look.
  • Beautiful. Do you use any particular style, or is this all made manually?
  • edited January 2010
    Thanks
    @Monsen: there is no transparency here. The grainy effect is a texture going over the Whole Drawing, and what you take for the background is in fact the foreground. This idea has been nagging at me for some time now and I'm quite happy with the result. Usually, you create a land by drawing a polygon. Here I multipolied this polygon with the map border, yielding a sort of sea mask going over the land that is in fact the background. That way I could draw all land zone (forests, moutains, etc) without bothering about the coastline and the Trace thing. The blur effect is also restricted under the sea that way.
    @md1hro: it's more a patchwork of different styles. I didn't use any drawing tools if that's what you mean. The mountain symbols were shamelessly copied from the CA20, I just made 20 mountains & hills and 8 great peaks and used other colors.
  • Simon RogersSimon Rogers Administrator, ProFantasy Traveler
    It's a very neat effect. I suspect that using the sea sheet as a mask could have other uses.
  • Truely magnificant! Seeing some amazing large scale maps lately! Getting me fired up to do more work on my global scale map project again.
    Thanks so much for sharing.
  • This is a very good map! Is the language french? I like the big sea in the north west.
  • edited January 2010
    Thanks a lot.

The language is french indeed.
    Posted By: Simon RogersI suspect that using the sea sheet as a mask could have other uses
    Well, adding the rivers to the sea sheet makes the transition between the two smooth and I quite incidentally discoverd that a black glow effect on the coastline (which is also under the sea sheet but over the land one) yields sort of a cliff effect (see above).
  • This map is really gorgeous. I particularly like the rivers and how water is in general, although I can't quite put my finger on why. Something that I see in this map that I personally really need to work on is how nicely it scales from a macro-view like in your full post to a more regional view, with city details coming into focus. I have a lot of trouble with that. Sort of in the same vein, I often find myself in conflict between political and physical mapping. I often think about an insert of one or the other, but I still have trouble in the balancing. I like how relatively minimal your political map is in terms of physical features. Mind if I ask what the full resolution of the map is? When you make a map like this, how do you determine what scale to place your mountains, cities, roads, etc -- do you put them at the same scale you'd use if you were making a more regional map, to provide for that scaling as you zoom in? What steps did you take outside of CC3?

Sorry to try to pick so much out of your brain.
  • Well, to be honest, there is a lot of trials and errors.

Rivers were done using the macro I detailed there:
    http://forum.profantasy.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=928&page=1#Item_21

The map is 2140x800, borders included though originally it was 21400x8000 but the size does matter ;) only if you want the map units to be accurate (which is the usual way). The political map is 1/5 scale.
    The export resolution is thrice that, ie 6420x2400 in jpeg format.
    I didn't aim for a macro-view version and always worked at zoom level.
    To choose symbol scale I try to get something pleasant just by looking, so sorry, I have really no tip to help you find your own scale. In this map, moutains are scale 1 and trees 0.5. Ferns are scale 1 because I did them myself and was to lazy (or too occupied) to edit their scale.

The only step outside CC3 was importing the coasline from Fractal Terrain (FT). I didn't use any other contour from FT. The coastline looked cool (even if I added some detail afterwards).

No outside step after the map was done. CC3 effects are (IMHO) great enough, no need to Photoshop the jpeg. The map is loaded with effects though...31 sheets sharing 39 effects + 1 texturize for the Whole Drawing. By the way the image file used for that texture is a noise filter applied to a 200x200 white field.

Not sure if I really answer your questions here...
  • Jeff BJeff B Betatester 🖼️ 37 images Surveyor
    Great design, looks like it would make a nice addition to the CC3 Annual for 2010 - hint hint
  • That's exactly the kind of info I wanted, thank you! I really appreciate the time.
  • Thanks Akbdeck.

You're welcome, Goldgrae.
  • Your maps continue to amaze me Joachim. Wow!
  • 1 month later
  • so beatyful, how do you get the rivers that way
  • 2 months later
  • MedioMedio Surveyor
    Nice (excellent) map Joachim. I personally like the good finishing it presents, the general look of the map, and how the sea/rivers are treated. I noticed some mountains collapse behind the sea, should i guess that´s not a background? (maybe a foreground? i´m still a bit new to CC).
  • Indeed, my solution to smooth river/sea connection was to put both on a layer above the land acting as a mask.
    Good eyes for catching that decapitated mountain... Never noticed before.
    Too late though... The map is hanging from the wall for 3 months now :)
  • 12 months later
  • Really nice Map, i'm just consern about one thing...comme j'imagine que tu parle français...I was wondering if you are from Quebec canada because I do and Trois-rivière (wich is in your map) isn't that far from me...Lol
  • Posted By: RedflagI was wondering if you are from Quebec canada because I do and Trois-rivière (wich is in your map) isn't that far from me...Lol
    Sorry, nope. I'm from France. But I did use a map of Quebec to get inspired because I wanted a *French Touch* on the eastern part and using Quebec just added a light *exotic* feel. Mostly I changed the names but *Trois-Rivières* was one of those that pleased me enough to let it as is... I'd love to visit Quebec, though...
  • 1 year later
  • Hi Joachim,

Your map looks fantastic. How did you manage to have this big woods without slowing CC3 to much down?

Greets from Switzerland

HadrianVI
  • Hi Hadrian VI,

Yes, that's quite a lot of symbols... The trick is to use vector symbols rather than raster ones that need more time to draw. You can also lower the bitmap quality with view->display speed settings and thus shorten the redraw time. Once the map is finished, don't forget to revert to the higher quality.
  • Lovely!!! Texturing is a nice touch.