Unable to utilise the hotkeys in CC3

Hello all, I joined the forum yesterday because I am having considerable difficulty beginning my first map. The issue arose from my needing to have a desert on a landmass lead to the coast without overlapping it. Scanning through the forums I learned of the 'Trace' Function. However, using it has been an issue.

When I begin painting my desert terrain onto my map, after placing my first point the following appears in the command bar:

Next Point (DEL - back, Space - Randomize, L/R Arrows - Depth, U/D Arrows - Strength, T - Trace):

However, pressing T simply writes the letter 't' into the command bar next to what is written above, and does nothing else. Thinking I had to enter it in as a command, I pressed enter, but this simply completed the terrain I was drawing á la right click. I tried the others. Delete, Up, Down, Left and Right all yield absolutely nothing and pressing space again completes the current terrain.

Am I doing something wrong? The hotkeys prompted in the command bar do nothing, and it's preventing my completing my work to satisfaction. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards.

EDIT: While I have a help thread up, I might as well ask my second question. Is there a way to tint the terrain textures? As in, make my sand a deep reddish orange rather than the default light yellow? Or have blue grass or red snow, etc?

Comments

• jaerdaphjaerdaph Traveler
    edited January 2010
    I *think* this is why you are having trouble: Keep your eye on that lower command prompt. After you hit "t", the command prompt will ask you to click somewhere on the line you want to trace (preferably away from where you want your first point on that line) - this is just to select the line, not the starting point. Next, it will ask you to click the Starting point of portion on that line to begin tracing (the point where you want to start tracing). It will then ask you to click on the Ending point of portion (the point on the line being traced where you want the tracing to stop). It is important to note that you DO NOT need to click the points in between on the trace - the software/command will do that for you. You only have to click points prior to hitting "T" and after you select the Ending point of portion.

It takes some getting used to, but keep your eye on that command line at the bottom - if CC3 needs something from you, that will be where it well tell you.

Hope this helps. :)

Tinting textures: You would have to open the textures in a photo editor like Fireworks, Photoshop, GIMP or similar program to do that. I recommend making new versions of the PNGs and new drawing tools based on them rather than overwriting your original PNGs.

You could also copy the entity with the original texture to another sheet above the sheet the original entity is on, change the fill style to solid and the color to something like red or blue, and a transparency sheet effect to that new sheet of around 50%. That will "color" the original below it.
  • This is the problem I'm having though- pressing 't' does not yield any response in the command bar, it simply writes a letter t next to the list of hotkeys, as if i'm typing a command into the command bar. It doesn't ask me to select anything or fix any points, it just writes the letter in. I was wondering if there was possibly a setting I have disabled that could affect the functionality of the prompted hotkeys?

Thanks for your help with the tint, also.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    There sounds like there is something strange going on there. Just to make sure, you have the latest patch installed, right? ( Update 8, brings CC3 up to version 3.40 [Help->About])
    Normally, when you see press the t key, the prompt should immediately change to "Entity to trace:" (Assuming that the prompt originally offered the option of T - Trace of course).
  • I downloaded Update 8 and this solved the issue. Thank you very much.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    You're welcome.
    Happy mapping.
  • Excellent - glad to hear you got it resolved. :)