Using the Tome with CC3 (FR Style Forests)

Good day all,

I'm currently trying to use the Tome (Forgotten Realms Forest Style) in order to draw FR style forests. I've gotten it down right up until the point that I am supposed to change the fill style of the base copy on the FILL layer. Hopefully that's not too confusing. For some reason, every time I change the fill style on that base copy it comes up as evenly spaced dots instead of the correct fill style. I've imported the symbol catalog and I've tried to emulate the tutorial map that comes with the Tome as much as possible. If there's anyone out there who can give me (in layman's terms) the precise way to do this, or explain the problem I am having, it would be a great help.

I'm certain it has something to do with the fact that I'm using CC3 and the Tome was written for CC2.

Thanks in advance,
Squandered Youth

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Maybe I am overlooking something, but I can't find any instructions that read like that in the chapter about FR style forests in the Tome (Pages 34-35). Could you perhaps provide me with the page and step number in the Tome that gives you these problems, and I'll look into it, unless someone beats me to it.
  • In the Adobe Acrobat version (which is the only version I own) the number at the bottom of the page (not the actual Adobe page number) is 104-105.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Try saving the map, closing and reopening CC3.

I got the same behavior as you describe when trying to do this now, and tried a lot of things without any real effect, when I looked at the symbol manager, and found that the fill style was not in the list there as it is supposed, even though it was available in the symbol fill drop down in the fill style box.
    I figured CC3 hadn't actually activated the fill style, so saving the map, and restarting CC3, and the fill style looked precisely as it should.
    I would assume this has to be defined as a small bug with CC3.
  • edited May 2008
    Ahh! Thank you very, very much Monsen!

I did just as you said and it's works perfectly. I appreciate your time in helping me out. That extra little detail in my forests is exactly what they needed in my map. I truly appreciate it.

I actually have one last question, if you or anyone else might be able to help me out with it. Now that I'm using that fill style to accent my forests, I've noticed that on larger forests, when viewed from farther zooms, seems to clump together to create some pretty ugly, thick lines. Is there any good ways to tweak and peak this to make it appear to still be spread fairly apart instead of clumping together like that? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Squandered Youth

Edit: Also, I have noticed that after I performed the fill style change, saved my map, and restarted CC3, the process is working fine, as every new forest that I edit the fill style with does not require me to restart the program to view the change.
  • LatharionLatharion Traveler
    I just wanted to toss this in regarding where inside the Tome of Ultimate Mapping the instructions for the FR style forests are located. You are actually both correct! :) The old FR Atlas style forests are located on pages 34-35, and the new 3rd Ed. FR style forests are located on pages 104-105. We have access to both styles so have fun mapping! From what I've noticed, the older style is good for faster draw times with less entities, and the newer style is better for visual appeal (but at a cost of drawing time).