Best Printers for ProFantasy software

Hello,

I'm completely new but have jumped in head-first and bought most of the software Profanstasy offers. Coincidentally we are tired of our ink-eating Dell printer and are buying another, hopefully compatible with our XPS dell computer. What considerations should I give to a printer that would synergize with Profantasy software? Are there printers out that reasonably priced that can print larger than 8.5"X11"? Larger than legal size? Poster-size maps? If I understand correctly CC3 has tracing capabilities to quicken acquisition of existing maps (i.e. from existing campaigns/worlds many gamers use). Are there printers that can scan larger than 8.5"X11"? I would really appreciate anyone who can give as specific options as possible. More than one so you won't feel like you are promoting one over others if you like. But reasoning is important and appreciated. Anything that can shorten the search is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• edited December 2009
    Before you buy any printer make sure you have the correct drivers for whatever version of Windows you are running. Some older printers are simply not supported on the newer operating systems.

Poster Printing (upto 42 inches wide and 150 feet in length)

I strongly recommend the HP DesignJet series. They are fairly nimble printers that work just as well on images and text. Some of the older models start around $1200.00 refurbished/used, the newer ones are more expensive. You can find them on closeout and business closing sales for cheaper. Paper comes in rolls. Matte, glossy, vinyl, and canvas. I use this at the office, it's a nice machine.

Large Format Printing (11 x 17 inches)

I tend to favor inkjet over laser, and the HP Photosmart Pro B8850 Printer isn't a bad choice. ($550.00)

Normal Printing (8.5 x 11 inches)

If your looking to save money, and ink, the KODAK ESP printers ($150-$300) are absolutely wonderful. The only thing is you need to print often or the “ink” dries in the printer head. I run a full page print 2-3 times a month. KODAK Ink refills are $30 for both the black and color cartridges. You can only buy these in Bestbuy (and they are hidden) and online.

CC3 will allow you to print a poster sized map on smaller sheets of paper. You just need to tape them together to form a giant image. Our GM uses this to print maps, works really well.

-Avotas
  • Thanks for the advise. Am wary of use equipment as have seen frustration with repairing such in offices. However the HP Photosmart Pro B8850 Printer is tempting. Players don't usually need poster-sized maps, but 8.5x11 is usually too small. Depends on how my domestic goddess rules on the cost though :-) Queries: Does the Kodak ESP print legal-sized sheets as well? Can one use such a printer's scanner to scan in pieces of a larger-than-8.5x11 map, assemble it in ProFantasy, & trace? Then of course print out. Do larger printers such as the HP Photosmart Pro B8850 Printer also have large scanners? Hope my inquiries aren't being too technical. I don't know much about such things, but do learn to use what I invest in. Any help much appreciated.
  • The HP Photosmart Pro B8850 is just a Printer. The KODAK ESP are a all-in-one printer/scanner device. Pretty much all printers can do Letter / Legal.
  • I realize some of those inquiries I could have done in a net search and of course they all have legal, rather I meant 11x17, so thanks. I guess I'll experiment with the scanning of maps and see if they can be combined into larger documents within ProFantasy.
  • Yes, see I do it all of that work in Photoshop then import in a completed map. I never tried it that way before.