Cannot Install DD3 in Vista

I was given CC3 and DD3 as a birthday gift yesterday and was excited to begin mapping. I got CC3 installed, and it runs just fine. However, when I try to install DD3, it demands a .net Framework for XP, and won't seem to let me install it regardless... Any fix for this?

Comments

• I found the help topic related to it, and it says:

If you encounter an error message telling you that you need .NET Framework installed, follow the instructions in this tech support topic, before returning here.

But when I click "This tech support topic", it links to the exact same page I was on.
  • edited December 2009
    Well, DD3 used to be dependant on the .NET Framework (you had to install that first or DD3 wouldn't install). The latest version of the DD3 installer doesn't have this dependancy.
    See:
    http://www.profantasy.com/service/faq.asp#FAQ_netproblems
  • Might be a problem... I was given the disc.

I don't have the "Order Number" but I do have the serial number (Which I registered both CC3 and DD3)
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited December 2009
    The order number was sendt to the email address of the person making the purchase. Since you got it for your birthday, I assume that wasn't you. You might need to ask them for this number, as you will need it to download updated versions of the installer (like the non .net-dependant version).
    If they do not have the order number, it can be retrieved here.

Note that you can still use the old installer under vista though, all you need to do is to install ".net framework 1.1" AND ".net framework 1.1 SP1". Both these are available from microsoft.com. Note that the version numbers are spesific. Having say version 2.0 doesn't help you (all .net versions live side by side however, so you can have multiple versions installed at the same time without problems)
  • edited December 2009
    Posted By: MonsenThe order number was sendt to the email address of the person making the purchase. Since you got it for your birthday, I assume that wasn't you. You might need to ask them for this number, as you will need it to download updated versions of the installer (like the non .net-dependant version).
    If they do not have the order number, it can be retrievedhere.

Note that you can still use the old installer under vista though, all you need to do is to install ".net framework 1.1" AND ".net framework 1.1 SP1". Both these are available from microsoft.com. Note that the version numbers are spesific. Having say version 2.0 doesn't help you (all .net versions live side by side however, so you can have multiple versions installed at the same time without problems)
    Well, I asked, and there might be a problem. It was bought from a retailer, not from the website.

When I tried to install the .net framework, it said that it was not compatable with Vista... I think I'm missing something here.

EDIT: Ah, I downloaded the specific files you were speaking of, and they're now downloading, let's see if they're the ones I need.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited December 2009
    Posted By: AcervusvlosIt was bought from a retailer, not from the website.
    Ok. I've never encountered that situation before. Their website talks about using your CD, then downloading the latest version, but I believe with latest version, they refer to the latest patch here, and not an updated installer. I would suggest contacting ProFantasy directly, using one of the contact option listed on this page. I would assume the "Order Desk" one is the most appropriate. (But then again, I am lousy at picking support categories :))
    To be honest, I have no idea how they will handle this, but my experience with ProFantasy is that they do their best to help the customer, so it is worth a shot. Just tell them that you received a retail version, and needs the new non-.net dependant version of the installers.

Oh, and I would very much like to know the outcome of this, for future reference.
  • Since i'm in a similiar situation, having bought all my CC3 stuff from retailers and upgraded to Windows 7 just 2 weeks ago, i'd be highly interested in the outcome of this, too.
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Register your product and then contact our tech support. Linda will set you up with the download version.