Changing size of terrain fills?

Howdy again.

OK, I am making a 200x140 mile map. My symbols have been made much smaller (0.15 for buildings, 0.2 for geographic etc). When I try to do a drawing tool "terrain default, forest" the symbols for the tree fill are at 1.0.

Is there a way to make those symbols defaut to a much smaller size?+
I'm guessing its something to do with the macro executed when filling in the polygon?

Comments

• jaerdaphjaerdaph Traveler
    edited December 2009
    Go into File -> Drawing Properties. Make sure the Default Symbol Scale box is checked and type in the value you want the trees to be (0.15 or 0.20 depending on what you want for your particular map) after 'Scale:', and then press OK. That should force the Forest drawing tools to use that symbol size. Note that after you do this, any symbol you select from the catalog will be scaled at that size and you will have to manually change them to the other size (0.15 or 0.20), but it sounds like you would have been doing that already anyway.

Hope this helps. :)
  • Well, it mostly worked.
    For the forests (where it uses some kind of macro to fill) it works a charm - thanks.

But the Pete fenlon style does something strange for swamps - doesn't use any macro, and put some kind of patterned fill in. It looks REALLY horrible as it appears at "full size", so there are large rectangles and pixels in the area. :(

When I get home I'll post an example of what I mean - but if you have an idea alread i'd appreciate it.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    That fill is a hatch style, which basically means it uses another CC3 drawing as the fill. If you open up #Hatch Styles\CA13_Swamp.FCW inside CC3 (the # symbol refers to the CC3 installation directory), you will find the fill style. This can then be rescaled and saved (You'll probably want to save it under a different name, but it has to be in the same directory).
    Then, inside your map, you can either change the map draw tool to use your new fill, or better, create a copy of the drawing tool under a new name. To do this, open the "Select Drawing Tool" Dialog, hit "Advanced", select the swamp tool in the list to the left. Then hit the "New" button. This will create a copy of the currently selected tool under a new name. Give it a meaningful name, and make sure your new tool is selected in the list. Then hit "Outline", then "Properties", and change the hatch style.