How can I change the color on Varicolor?

I've placed numerous varicolor symbols on a map. I need to change the color of all of them at the same time. How can I do this after they've already been placed on the map?

Comments

• It depends of your varicolor symbols. Most recent varicolor symbols (CC3,DD3... essentially bitmap v symbols I think) answer the ChangeC command (or the edit). Other symbols don't, especially those you create yourself (I'd like to know how to create the former). With those last symbols, every time you use it with a different color, a clone symbol appears in the symbol manager, non varicolor, set with the color you choose.
    To better explain, I made a MTNS1 varicolor symbol. I select color 77, place a symbol, open the symbol manager (Symbols->Symbol Manager) and lo! a MTNS1 C77 symbol appears.
    You can though change it's color through the edit command of the symbol manager. You must then define a new window in which you can edit non bitmap symbols. All the same symbols with the same color will change accordingly.
    If I put 100 MTNS1 symbols with color 77, editing the MTNS1 C77 new symbol will change all 100.
    Hope it's clear.
  • Hmmm... I used a symbol that came in the Annual (the Fenlon stuff)... a mountain. I just wanna change the base color in the varicolor version of the mountains. I don't really know where to change the whole lot of them... Can you break it down by steps please?

Appreciate any help!
  • edited December 2009
    The Fenlon varicolor symbols color cannot be modified by the changec/edit command.
    You'll have to modify each symbol to change the colors.
    To do that, open the symbol manager (symbols menu, select symbol manager, first on top of the scroll list).
    You will see all the symbols used in the map.
    You should see symbols looking like CA13 Mountain vc 1 Cxxx where xxx is the number of the color selected.
    Select one of the symbols and click Edit button.
    You'll see the cross-hair and the command line asks "new window corner."
    Click twice to design a boxed area that will display your symbol and acts like another CC3 instance.
    The background color will probably be two numbers over xxx (ie if you used color 87, it will be 89)
    The darker color will be two below xxx (ie 85). The LIST command on one of the dark shape will get you the color if needed).
    To change the background color type CHANGEC *enter*, select the background shape, type d (no enter) and type in your color or right-click to get the color dialog.
    To change the dark color, type CHANGEC *enter* again, then C (no enter), then the color (ie 85) *enter*. All the dark shapes should be selected. Type d and enter the target color.
    Close the window and accept the change.
    Repeat for all the symbols...
    I don't know if there is another way but I'd be glad to learn it if it exists...

*d* is a shortcut for right-click do it and *c* for select by color.

Hope it helps,
    JdR